VMware experiences

keune

Our director wants to exchange experiences about VMware and JDE with a JDE customer who tried it.

I already did sent him the following links from earlier discussions on this forum:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=166435&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=131801&Main=131703

http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=bdgcfxzdddhz&Number=159628

In case you don't mind to be contacted by him please sent me your contact information.

Best regards,

Simon Siemonsma
[email protected]

Hi Simon,

We are already running on Vmware for 2 1/2 years now.(web server-sql/enterprise server-deployment server).Also our Citrix/Xenapp servers are running on vmware. It is perfect. Vmotion, disaster recovery etc. We have 1 virtual webserver and 1 physical web server. The plan is now also to remove the physical webserver.

In case you need more information let me know.

Regards
Ronald

JDE 8.12
TR 8.98.2.1
Microsoft sql server
Xenapp 6

Hi Simon,
We are currently moving our ageing Physical ERP system to VMWARE. This includes our Enterpirse, Web, Database servers all running on VMWARE.

I’m interested in your experience with it. I’ve read various blogs/forums where they’ve said not too virtualise database servers but these threads have been dated from 2008 – 2010 so was looking for something more up to date.

What are your experiences with it all? Just reading the above it looks like you have been pretty stable with it all. Is there any GOTCHYAs we should be aware off?

Also Oracle does not support VMWARE and so was wondering how you went about support? Did you keep your physical setup for support purposes or just never told oracle about your system being on VMWARE?

Kind Regards,

Rak

Hi Rak,
can you tell me why you say that Oracle doesn't support jde on vmware?

[ QUOTE ]

Also Oracle does not support VMWARE and so was wondering how you went about support?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oracle supports JDE customers on any platform that meets Minimum Technical Requirements - including virtualization platforms that are non-OracleVM.

However they do not CERTIFY VMWare. Thats completely different.

If you have an issue with any platform that is not certified, and they cannot reproduce the issue, then they will direct you to your non-certified platform vendor.

Hi,

I read this article on oracle support:
Support Position for Oracle Products Running on VMWare Virtualized Environments [ID 249212.1]

I guess what this article is saying is Vmware isn't CERTIFIED. Oracle will absolutely support a vmware installation BUT if they cannot reproduce your issue in their physical (or OVM) environment, they will politely point you to vmware for support i guess.

Kind Regards,

Rak

Hi, we have been running our JDE on VMWare since October 2009.
All four servers are on VMWare, OAS, E1, Oracle DB 11G and deployment server.
We have had no serious problems, exceptionally good performance and reliability. Also Oracle support has never even hinted that we should not use VMWare.
During implementation we used Oracles own consultants and while they said it is not certified to work on VMware they are happy to do it. Risk was ours but was worth to take.
All servers run Oracle Linux 5, except deployment server which runs Win2008 R2.

Thanks for the feedback AriKukkonen... That's great.

It's good to read feedback on other companies experiences, especially if it a positive one.

Many thanks.

Rak

Back