Fixed Asset Beginning Balance

mijoh

Does anyone know of a quick way to get Fixed Assets beginning balances loaded to F1202 from say an excel spreadsheet?. I realize that you need to create a custom program to do it (Oracle provides NO help for this). I was wondering if anyone had anything handy that they use or have used to do it with.

Mijoh,

There's a Fixed Asset Z-File process (F1201Z1 / R1201Z1I) that Might give you the right keywords to review ... within the Knowledge Gungle...

(db)

Unfortunately this is not well documented in the Knowledge Jungle.
There are two standard approaches (no customization / no SQL usage) for the FA beginning balances to be uploaded:

1. F0911Z1 Z-table with ASID (Asset ID) usage.

2. P12102 along with split functionality.

FA beginning balances means Asset Cost Account (see CHCD 1 with positive sign) and Accumulated Depreciation (see CHCD 2 with negative sign).
For example a fully depreciated asset can be $100 within CHCD 1 and $-100 within CHCD 2 (see asset account type, F1202 table).

It's usually wise to upload GL related to FA balance sheet portion with the previous accounting period end date. For example 31 Dec 2010 if your go-live date is 1 Jan 2011.

With standard option 2 (P12102 split functionality), you can simply cut and paste your XLS with one line per each asset. First time for your Asset Cost Account (CHCD 1) and second time for your (Accumulated Depreciation Account (CHCD 2).
It's easy and allows your to have an automatic check since your GL balances (F0902) should be consistent with FA module (F1202 after FA posting).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Carlo

I've just created a journal entry using ## as the Doc Type and using the last day of the prior year for the GL Date (as Carlo mentioned). I debit and credit the Asset Cost accounts for the same amounts for each asset, but only include the Asset Number in the debit lines. I then do the same with Accumulated Depreciation, but only include the Asset Number on the credit lines. Next I post the J/E to the G/L, and then post the lines with Asset Numbers to F/A, and pass the rest. It does create additional F0911 records, but it seems like it is the easiest and quickest method to me.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS
8.12, 8.98.3.1, Windows 2003, SQL 2005, OAS 10.1.3.1

This is (IMO) a huge oversite by JDE/Oracle. The z-file program for Fixed Assets will build the F1201 record and create the F1202 record with the appropriate depreciation values loaded, but there are no data items in the z-file to load the actual beginning balances (asset cost and accumulated depreciation) in the "z" process.
I have had developers write table conversions in the past to load CSV data into the F1202 table for me and then use the system's integrity reports to assure that the F/A system and the G/L system were in balance.
Not a lot of fun.

Dave,

what you mentioned is indeed the "approach 1" of my email.
I agree it's a good method to segregate (separate batches) FA beginning balances upload from GL beginning balances upload.

With what I called "approach 2" you can reuse the same GL entry (F0911 line) used for the initial balance-sheet to be uploaded instead of the new ## GL document (two lines,one with ASID to be posted into F1202 and the offset record with blank ASID, thus to be excluded from FA posting with F0911.GLBRE = 'P' - Pass).

Kind regards,

Carlo

Hi

I want to upload FA beginning balance in mid of the year . when i am passing JE for Accumulated depreciation it goes to Period to date column in cost summary and when i run depreciation it passes reverse entry for excess amount.

Example - If my accu dep is 1400000 and when i run depreciation for next period say 10000 then it will pass reverse entry for 1390000.

Attachments

• 187700-FA op bal issue 1.doc
    517.5 KB · Views: 76
I'm not sure I can hit the same person, he just posted it on 2011.

Hi Dave Schleicher,

The method you described is perfectly working fine !

Have one query: Why we do not upload balance to 'Depreciation Expense A/c' ? Why only cost and accumulated depreciation accounts ?

I've just created a journal entry using ## as the Doc Type and using the last day of the prior year for the GL Date (as Carlo mentioned). I debit and credit the Asset Cost accounts for the same amounts for each asset, but only include the Asset Number in the debit lines. I then do the same with Accumulated Depreciation, but only include the Asset Number on the credit lines. Next I post the J/E to the G/L, and then post the lines with Asset Numbers to F/A, and pass the rest. It does create additional F0911 records, but it seems like it is the easiest and quickest method to me.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS
8.12, 8.98.3.1, Windows 2003, SQL 2005, OAS 10.1.3.1

I'm not sure I can hit the same person, he just posted it on 2011.

Hi Dave Schleicher,

The method you described is perfectly working fine !

Have one query: Why we do not upload balance to 'Depreciation Expense A/c' ? Why only cost and accumulated depreciation accounts ?

Hi Rauf,

The original poster mentioned "beginning balances", so I only listed Cost and Accumulated Depreciation. I was also going on the assumption that the original poster would use JDE to calculate depreciation, and so it would be handled automatically by JDE. However, you certainly could do Depreciation Exp if you needed to, debiting Depreciation Expense, and crediting Accumulated Depreciation. You would then post both lines to the G/L, and then to F/A. We've done this in some cases where auditors request an adjustment to something in Fixed Assets - fix it with a J/E in the G/L, and then post it to F/A.

Dave Schleicher

Hi Dave,

I am extremely happy seeing your reply. I thought you might not using jdelist.

I am new to Functional area, especially to Fixed Asset.

So will you be please kind to have a look at the below case, and suggest (Asset Balance screen shot is attached):

I define Asset# 41701002 as follows,

Code:
Life in Months		96 M

Asset bought for (Cost)	$ 4,190.00 ( So monthly $ 43.64)
Accum Depr		$ 2,740.97
So NBV			$ 1,449.03 (4,190.00-2,740.97)

So in the JE, I just enter Cost and Accum Depr as of 31/12/2016.
Then I ran depreciation for two months ( which is shown in Depr. Exp. account ( 87.30 = 2 * 43.64).

I have the following concerns:

• But as far as I know, the 'Revenue Earned' should be equal to Accum. Depr ( ie. 2740.97). Am I right ?
  • Also, I am confused with the word 'Revenue Earned' term. It should be some thing like Depreciation Total or Accumulated Depreciation.
  • If I add, Depr Exp, I think the entire Journal Entry will be as follows. The bold, italic entry will not be included. ( Edit - I tried the below method, but in P12102 application, the grid does not list entries for Depr. Exp. A/c, it shows the other three lines)
Code:
Cost A/c		Dr (with Asset # in JE Asset Number field)
Cost A/c		Cr
[B][I]Accum Depr A/c		Dr[/I][/B]
Accum Depr A/c		Cr (with Asset # in JE Asset Number field)
Depr Exp A/c		Dr  (with Asset # in JE Asset Number field)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back