Management kernel (32) listening on port 14502

Tom_Davidson

Tom_Davidson

VIP Member
I have upgraded server manager to 8.98.3.3 When I try to start the new agent on my production box only (I have 3 AS/400's Dev, Test, Prod) the agent says port 14502 is in use. Using NETSTAT sure enough it is, by the management kernel. This is preventing the agent from starting properly.

I have tried shutting down SM, starting the agent, and starting SM, and sure enough the agent gets port 14502, but then I can't get. The instance shows JDE is up, but the text says I can't see run time info unless the instance is up.

If I shut down the agent, the management kernel again grabs port 14502. And I can't start the agent again.

My agent.properties is this:
management.server.name=sxtjde002.sensient-tech.net
management.server.port=14501

The same on all systems.

My .../targets/<system>/<system>.properties is:
componentName=jde\:targetType\=component,componentName\=898E12_06_10.par
existingServer=true
The same on all systems.

my JDE.INI is:

[JDENET_KERNEL_DEF32]
krnlName=MANAGEMENT KERNEL
dispatchDLLName=JDEMGMT
dispatchDLLFunction=ManagementDispatch
maxNumberOfProcesses=1
numberOfAutoStartProcesses=1

[MANAGEMENT]
jdeHome=/JDEdwards/JDE_HOME
instanceName=<systemname>

This is also the same on allsystems (except the system name of course)

Managment kernel jde.log

422153/31 MAIN_THREAD Mon Oct 18 15:36:22.605000 ipcmisc.c299
process 422153 <E812SYS/JDENET_K> registered in entry 16

422153/31 MAIN_THREAD Mon Oct 18 15:36:22.823056 netcfg.c296
Starting Kernel of Type:MANAGEMENT KERNEL

422153/31 MAIN_THREAD Mon Oct 18 15:36:23.184128 mgmtdispatch.cpp221
INITIALIZING MANAGEMENT SERVER KERNEL
Agent log:
FINE: Attempting to start the local management agent listener on port 14502
Oct 19, 2010 6:26:32 PM com.jdedwards.mgmt.agent.E1Agent$ManagementServerDaemonThread run
WARNING: caught exception in client thread thread
java.net.BindException: The socket name is already in use.
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:417)
at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:342)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:208)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:164)
at com.sun.jmx.remote.socket.SocketConnectionServer.start(SocketConnectionServer.java:157)
at com.sun.jmx.remote.generic.SynchroMessageConnectionServerImpl.start(SynchroMessageConnectionServerImpl.java:39)
at javax.management.remote.generic.GenericConnectorServer.start(GenericConnectorServer.java:239)
at com.jdedwards.mgmt.agent.Server.startListener(Unknown Source)
at com.jdedwards.mgmt.agent.E1Agent$ManagementServerDaemonThread.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:810)

Any ideas of where else I should be looking?

Thanks.

Tom Davidson

Update: Management kernel (32) listening on port 14502

Oracle support says this is a 'Know Issue'. Their answer is to change the Managment Agent Starting port and cycle SM. My experience however has been that the MANAGEMENT kernel just picks up the new port.

My work around has been: I change the agent starting port and cycle the agent. That way the management kernel doesn't hijack the port. I've told them this isn't really acceptable.

We'll see how it turns out.

Tom

Check (looking at agent logs), that the hostname being used the standalone agent and the management server are the same; if they are different, such as one being 'hostname' and the other being 'hostname.domain.com', the management console will not realize they are the same machine and so assign them both the same port.

PTFs have been needed to fix issues with the java host name API in the past to ensure these are in sync.

SA,

Where do I look for where the names are configured. The only place I seem to see a name is in my agent.properties, otherwise I don't see it configured anywhere else.

Tom

The host names aren't configured, then are determined by a Java API call. The problem can be that different JVMs return different values, e.g. the JVM used by the enterprise server returns a fully qualified domain name (hostname + domain) and the agent used to run agent returns only the hostname. To the server manager console, which assigns ports for agents to listen to, these are seperate machines, so they should both be able to use the same port.

See:
http://servermanager.blogspot.com/2007/11/troubleshooting-agent-communications.html

Thanks for the doc, interesting. JDE didn't believe me, so they set up a web conf, I showed them the error and my work around. after doing this several times, THEN they decided to record the session. I'll let everyone know when I get a fix.

Tom

Back