Close a PO line with remaining open Qty

ssolberg

VIP Member
This has got to be a dumb question but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, even the documentation.

I've got some PO lines that have some remaining qty/amount because they were partially received. As it turns out, they are never going to get the remaining qty and want to close the PO lines of outstanding qty/amount.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how. I've Cancelled lines before that were never received on and that is no problem but I don't think I want to "Cancel" these lines now? Or does that serve the same function at this point? It didn't sound right...

I did read about closing the lines through Voucher Match (with a 9) but why would I be going through Voucher Match to close lines on a PO that I will never voucher in the first place? That had me confused.

Not a stupid question at all. It was a stupid question when I asked JDE in Denver eight years ago the same question. lol

If you do not use the Receipt Option 7 when receiving the purchase order detail line in P4312, which closes the purchase order line (short if applicable) then the proper way to close the purchase order detail line, with an open quantity, is to simply Row Exit Cancel. This will close out the detail line properly.

Thanks for the reminder both of you. I got it now and have no idea why I forgot. Early onset Alzheimers, I'm sure, or just too many irons in the fire anymore. Can't know everything! Thanks again.

But when you do Row exit --> cancel, it updates status to 980/999. I want to close remainder without indicating the PO has been cancelled.

Hi.

You can close it on PO receipts (P4312) with option 9
I remember when we cancel the remaining qty in the PO, line use to split with qty's received and cancelled qty with 980/999 status. I am not seeing that... what could be the reason, is it set up?

Hi all,

Ssolberg I am having the exact same issue word for word of what you said. So what was the conclusion? How do we close out the remaining qty on an old PO?

"How do we close out the remaining qty on an old PO?"
Firstly, assuming that your procurement team are cancelling the order line I would enter the order and select Row>Cancel Line, you are only cancelling the quantity that is undelivered/unrequired, the F43199 has already captured the record for your partial PO Receipt.
If the Warehouse were closing after the first partial receipt they would use '9', if closing at time of partial receipt then '7'.
It doesn't look right to see the line at 980/999 in the F4311 as that can be confusing but what other status would you want when the line is closed other than '980', we are also faced with this issue so for want of a better solution we will cancel remainder of quantity in PO and use F43199 for the receipts analysis. Wee had users changing the remaining quantity to zero on the PO and then trying to close at status 400/400 which is not possible. You really want the line to automatically split to 1.001 after the partial receipt which it seems to do when you are doing back-to-back ST/OT orders.
We are open to better solution if there are any.

Hello, Line split in standalone Purchase Order is not a standard functionality. i.e. if you do partial receipt, the receipt quantity updates in same line.
To cancel the remaining quantity when we use option 9 and P4312, for sure it will update entire line to 980/999 which may seems wrong in reporting however transaction wise it works well.
To avoid this, we can identify one intermediate status such as 499 ( Cancel order line ). Set the order activity rule of 499 Last status and Next status as 999.
1681126927563.png

Then move the order line of remaining quantity by P43025.

1681126941555.png

After that run R43500 with data selection of order lines 499

1681126968024.png
1681126987683.png

This way, you will be able to see the Order lines which are manually closed due to remaining quantities.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Vinay

Back