What's in YOUR resume?

Re: What\'s in YOUR resume?

Ya know Ken,

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. My first interview WAS just like that. The guy could talk all about his accomplishments and be quite detailed (from a non technical point of view). From his accounts, he could make the earth spin in different directions. Towards the end of the interview I noticed that he wasn't getting specific enough for me on a particular subject. I asked the question again - this question was being fairly specific. I got the start of the same answer. I stopped him and asked a third time. Turns out the guy had skated through several 'job shops' where he was placed for about 3 to 6 months and was let go due to lack of work and then would move on. Well, that was the last hour plus that I was going waste (or so I thought) interviewing people that shouldn't be in the business.

I did interview someone in Hyderabad where he was able to answer my questions initially and quickly became clear that he knew what he was talking about - even though he had been away from the business for a year. We had that nice chat talking about what he had done in the past and even if he ends up taking a job somewhere else, I don't regret the interview at all.

So set me up with the slamming questions first. I don't like being disrespectful to people, but when they are telling me - through their resume - that they are a Senior Technical Consultant and I find out that they can't increment a variable, then they are disrespecting me. And wasting my time.

Ben again,

Ben,
You are well versed and I understand your point. But it seems odd to me that ANY programmer wouldnt know how to increment a variable. Honestly, did the guy really have no idea how to increment a variable? I'm curious, what answer would you say is correct for that question? I would probably just say something like count = count + 1.
wink.gif

Hi Ben,

Here are my views regarding the interview

For 1 to 3 years of experience

Basics - 40% ( Ex : What is CNC, RDA.....)
Tool Usage - 40% ( Ex : Giving Some scenario's )
Functional - 20% ( Ex : Asking about tables & relation exist in different tables in a module..Etc)

For a 3 to 6 yrs

Basics - 20%
Tool Usage - 40%
Functional - 40%

I guess this way of an interview can dig the capabilities of Interviewee.

Still now what ever the questions that you have posted here are intending to test Interviewee basic skills on JDE. If the Interviewee still not answering means..he is having more experience (Which we could not figure out)
laugh.gif

Hello Listers,

This is one of the interesting topic being generated in the forum for all the people especially for them who are ready to attend interviews.
I hope this discussion should end with some more questions and their experiences which are helpful for all of Listers.

Regards
Alphaq

I agree, this is a very interesting and relevant topic - thanks to all for sharing! shd have another topic on career prospects
smile.gif
i find the JDE job market getting quieter and quieter these days....cheers!

Ben

What kind of money are you offering ? Perhaps that is partly the reason you're not getting the right caliber of candidates ? If its too low, its not going to tempt away a good OneWorld developer.

Oneworld developers - really good ones - are like diamonds in the rough. I can get a good developer tons of consulting work really easily - almost every customer on the planet is looking for a good oneworld developer, especially one with good functional knowledge.

But developers don't like to work as consultants - they like a cushy 9 to 5 position - so it isn't hard to attract them to a permie position - but they have to see at least 1/2 the consulting rate in the salary otherwise it wouldn't be worth it.

I see positions advertised all the time at mid $50k or $45 per hour - and I laugh. Obviously those companies are never going to find a decent developer - maybe they'll find a junior person that they can train ?

BTW - even I know that MCU is Branch Plant (or Business Unit) and AN8 is AB Number. But DL01 - I'd have to look it up - same with the sales order status codes alias.

altquark,

I'm not so sure it is because of the money. Actually, let me back up. I'm not even sure what is talked about as far as money is concerned - before they get to me for the interview. I AM sure of what requirements they say are necessary to get the job. It's just that the candidates are used to being interviewed by an HR person that doesn't know what to ask them, that they will hope the HR person can't see their lack of skills. Once they are hired, they do the song and dance long enough to get 6 months of paychecks and then they are looking elsewhere.

Ben again,

And there you have it. Bump that offer up to a respectable 6 figures WITH AN ESPRESSO CART IN THE CUBE(!!!) and don't see if the resumes POUR in like mayhem on FIRE!

YYEEAHH BAABBEEEE! (<- note that I HAVE an espresso cart (pats espresso cart) right HEEEERRREE)

Hi,

Yes... 45K is too low for experienced JDE developers.
Could be OK for a junior one, but will fly away as soon
as gets more experienced.
Good JDE developers are very scarce and they know it.

[ QUOTE ]

Good JDE developers are very scarce and they know it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your english is a little off. This should read:
Good JDE developers are very scarce and WE know it.
laugh.gif

Ben again,

Ok,

Sanity check here. Just completed another interview - the guy was awesome in being able to describe PDM stuff and the like.

He described something about reports that I will try to replicate here, and I would appreciate it if you would rate the experience level based upon the answer.

Reports can have Header sections and Detail sections. The Detail section has events such as Initialize Section, Do Section, and After Last Object is Printed Section. An example of how they might be used is: The initialize section would initialize any varables and get things generally setup. Then the Do section would process the data and write any records that was necessary. Then the Last Object is Printed Section occurs after the report has been printed, and you would use this section to do things like clear temporary files and complete transactions and such.

OR how would you rate this? In an application, the Button Is Clicked event occurs immediately upon clicking the button and the Post Button Is Clicked occurs after the Button Is Clicked event.

To be sure, I am not interested in any kind of humiliation or insults but am curious how you would rate someone that gave you these answers.

Ben again,

Ben,

I don't think you should read too much into these: these were generic questions and you got generic answers.

I don't thing there's anything wrong with them, which is good. And I don't think the answers should have been any more detailed, bearing in mind they were so generic, which is good too.

But on the other hand, they probably do not really tell you what experience the person has, because being generic, these questions are very predictable and any training would provide these same answers, be that a book or a course, so you can realistically expect anyone (even without a bit of experience) who has done at least some homework, to be able to come up with such answers...

And why would you not be interested in any kind of humiliation or insult??? That doesn't sound right. I thought it was always expected and welcome ;-)

Hi Ben,

Rating *****
grin.gif

We have to rate 5* the guy who trained these guys for the interview
grin.gif

Totally agreed with alex
cool.gif

Ben,
Any guy with a little bit of experience can answer those questions and the names of the events itself say what they do...

--------
Thanks
Alphaq
XE,SP23,AS400

I agree with Alex too.

The response to the button clicked/post button clicked events may also indicate some contempt for the question
grin.gif

Body language and vocal tone are very important interview tools!!

First off, let's be clear on the responses. The After Last Object has Printed occurs after each record has been processed in the Do section and any information has been 'loaded' into the .pdf generation file, so clearing temporary files would occur in the End Section or at least in some sort of Level Break Section.

The Button Is Clicked is run once for every selected record in the grid and the Post Button is Clicked runs only once after the Button Is Clicked has finished.

I would like to give the guy I interviewed the benefit of the doubt and would really appreciate a reality check if I am being too hard on people. To throw more information into the pot, besides calling the report sections Header and Detail (which I find VERY suspect - but call me crazy), but he couldn't name any Sections beyond that (such as Level Break Header/Footer, Subsection Joins) or more correctly (Report Header/Page Header instead of just Header)

And Jane, would you show contempt for an interviewer's question to you? I can certainly understand how someone might be 'put off' by some very simple questions, but I would not display any contempt back at the interviewer unless I was ready to stop the interview right there and not waste my time. Regardless of that fact, I do go out of my way to tell them up front that I am going to ask questions to evaluate their level of experience and to please not be offended by any of the questions.

Ben again,

At this point you stand up, rip open your desk and VIOLENTLY tear a spec out of your drawer. Drop the spec into the guys lap and state brusquely (don't shout): "Dude, put your money where your mouth is!"

Now, put him in front of a pc and stare over his shoulder. If the dude can't eat the cake, he can't have the cake. Capiche?

Oh, and one more thing.....It is usually 10pm at night and I am talking to someone in India from Denver, Colorado. So I don't have the ability to see the interviewee.

Ben again,

I was talking about this thread and the other one about what are some questions developers are asked in an interview with a co-worker. He suggested putting the prospective employee in front of a stand-alone and give them a spec to develop. Come back in 20 mins and see how they are doing. If they don't have anything close, move on. If they are doing good, continue on with the interview. It is difficult if you are doing phone interviews, but for face-to-face interviews it does give you some idea of what you are dealing with.

Ben,

First, I'd like to thank you for this thread. It is a really fascinating discussion.

To give you a little of my background...I started at JDE in 1995 in the tools development area for what was then known as Everest (ake OneWorld, E1, etc.). I was THE object librarian for 2 1/2 years
smile.gif
In addition, I owned about 90 techinical applications (OCM, versions, environment apps, data dictionary, etc.) I then spent a couple of years as a CNC consultant, followed by a couple of years in GATS at JDE. Finally, I left JDE for another consulting firm, spent 2 years as CNC for a pharmaceutical company. Now I work as an E1 developer for a mfg company. To say the least, I have a lot of E1 experience and knowledge - both CNC and development. In addition, I have picked up "general" knowledge about most of the applications.

Having said all of that, I don't know that I could answer all your questions to your satisfaction
frown.gif
I think you are going for the right things, but you may be giving too little information in the questions if you are expecting such specific answers. For example, expecting the Button Clicked & Post Button Clicked answer to include processing each selected line may be over-reaching...unless you have set up a scenario for the interviewee..."If a user is in Application X, places a checkmark next to 3 grid lines, and presses Select...What happens behind the scenes?" This might get you what you want. But just asking about the events themselves, I would tell you very much what this person did. I don't know whether you are talking about a Select, OK, Find, Delete or Close button.

As an interviewer, we are always colored with our own experiences. If I have been developing for 3 years, specializing in financial reporting, my questions may be far too slanted in that direction. For those who have posted a list of questions here for feedback, I think that is just awesome...you will surely get a wide variety of input on the relevance of the questions!

Finally, I will share a story about an interview I conducted a few years back. The gentleman was applying for a position as my supervisor. His resume looked impressive on the surface - 7 years of CNC experience, including building and managing a consulting team. He listed a lot of installation/upgrade experience, security, the "works". I was given his resume and asked to do a technical interview. As I began reading the 3 page document, I saw 4 or 5 jobs whose descriptions were almost identical (having to do with CNC work). Reading more closely, I got the feeling that he didn't really know what all those big words meant.

Cut to the interview: I asked him to define what I call the "big 6": environment, pathcode, OCM mapping, package, enterprise server, deployment server. I got a blank stare!!! I asked if he could draw me a picture of what was on the deployment server...I got a recangle and an apology.

I share this because I do think it is imperative to ask for some details. I like to throw out more open-ended questions to open up the discussion and see where they take me. I can always follow up and ask for more specifics to see how deep the knowledge goes. More importantly, I can see how well the person communicates their ideas. Are the talking up or down to me? Do they speak in acronyms? Are they making eye contact to see if I am understanding them? Do they grab a pen and start drawing out their ideas, using multiple methods of communication? Do they ask me questions to clarify what I am looking for if the question is too broad? Does their answer contain the phrase, "I developed this solution that..."? These are the important skills that make someone successful to me, illustrate experience, poise, enthusiasm, etc.

That's just my 2 cents
smile.gif

Back