The Peoplesoft Solution Search

dpeplinski

a question

Has anyone threatened to withold maintenance payments because of how the Peoplesoft solution search just doesn't function?

I've complained to a lot of people at Peoplesoft (now oracle), with no results, and my manager suggested this step.

Yes. Then I downloaded the latest Java plug-in and it works fine.

We are considering this course of action.

When I type P4210 as keyword in Solution Search I get 12 hits..

Well bliny it seems that there are no bugs or documentation regarding P4210. In your dreams...

I open a call now for each question or additional documentation. We don't even bother anymore to search the KG. If the number of calls explode improvement will com shortly...

Good luck ,

And will look for that Java plugin..where it may be..

Walter

Try the SAR search instead. In the upper left hand corner choose support, then Knowledge Garden Support and then scroll down until you see SAR search. You will definitely get better results using SAR search. Hope this helps.

Patty

[ QUOTE ]

I open a call now for each question or additional documentation. We don't even bother anymore to search the KG. If the number of calls explode improvement will com shortly...

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is what I've been doing - for simple white papers - for a few months now, yet nothing.

I find myself searching jdelist instead of the knowledge garden - and while this is a great source of information, it should not be my first stop.

[ QUOTE ]

Solution Search Tips

Solution Search enables you to look for solutions that may solve your product issues, speeding your troubleshooting efforts. The information in this section will provide tips for improving the results of your searches, enabling you to resolve more issues before logging a case.
You can access Solution Search this site under Support, Online Support, then Search for Solutions, or by adding the Recent Cases pagelet to your personalized home page view. You can search three ways using Solution Search:

Basic keyword search—best used to search for one or more keywords, and includes product selections.
Frequently used solutions—best used to scan for commonly used solutions, and includes product selections.
Advanced search—best used to search for phrases, and does not include product selections.
Understanding Your Solution Search Results
All three search methods return ranked results. The percentage used for ranking corresponds to the relevancy of the words you searched for to the documents that are returned—the more times a word shows up in the document, the higher its relevancy score. On the right side of your results, you'll find a tally of how many times the solution solved another customer's issue. The combined use of ranking and solution tallies can help you find an appropriate solution quickly.

Basic Keyword Search
Keyword search enables you to look for one or more words in a solution, and also enables you to limit those keyword searches by product. For the most effective basic keyword searches:

Use the Product Group and Product/Service fields help narrow your searches. If you select Product Group, you must select the Product/Service also; however, the Release/Industry and Problem Type are optional.
Enter at least one keyword in the text box. Multiple keywords are treated individually, as if there were an implied OR between the words. For example, if you enter the words check stub in the text field, your returned results will include solutions with any reference to check or to stub. Solutions with either word displayed more than once will be ranked higher than solutions with one or the other only included once. See Advanced Search below for tips on searching for phrases.
Add additional words to the Keyword text field to return additional documents. Generally documents with all the words you chose will be ranked higher than those that match fewer of your keywords.
If you don't get the results you expected, try using variations on your keywords, or try different products.
Enter specific Solution IDs in the Keyword text field if you're looking for a specific solution.
Frequently Used Solutions
This search is best used when you want to scan for issues others may be having with your release, or as a quick scan for solutions that have helped others. Your results are returned ranked by the number of times a resolution has solved other customers' issues with a specific product. You only need fill in the Product Group and Product/Services fields. The Release/Industry and Problem Type fields are optional.

Advanced Search
This search is most useful when you're looking for solutions by key phrases. The Search field treats multiple words as phrases. Using the example above, a search for check stub in this field will return results that contain check stub together. As with keyword searches, your results are ranked higher if they contain the searched phrase multiple times. This search does not include Product Group and Product/Service fields to narrow your searches. Advanced search also enables you to:

Change the number of returned results displayed on each page.
Match on is a required field that enables you to match your search text with the Solution Summary field and Solution ID field.
If you choose Match on All, the results will match on your text, and the Solution Summary and ID fields.
Match on Any returns results that match your text and either the Solution Summary or ID fields.
Selecting Show Summaries includes a portion of the solution detail in your results list.
Selecting Ignore Capitalization will ignore Solution Summary capitalization differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

am I missing something, but is there no way of being able to search something like

P4310 AND "data dictionary"

I can commiserate.

I resent having to perform multiple searches to track down documents. Often the Basic Keyword Search produces no matches. The Advanced Search returns matches that include Enterprise &/or Oracle issues. Many times, I have to open those links to find out that the document doesn't apply to JDE.

I also cannot seem to locate old KG documents using the form "OFN-yy-nnnn" or "WST-yy-nnnn" and the like. I have no idea how to translate those document IDs into a solution ID & feel like an old dog.

I know that the PS employees had the ability to search areas where I as a customer could not & suspect that it is the same with Oracle's employees. Recently, I opened a case when I couldn't open a linked document. The error message said that I didn't have the authority to do so. The Oracle Apps IT, App. Engineer eventually said "...it doesn't have anything to do with account permissions, but rather looks like it might be a bug introduced awhile ago...." In response to yet another Customer Connection case, I was told that Oracle was integrating its web site with the PS one so web site corrections were on hold.

I miss the old KG.
Debbie

Hi Walter and JDEList,

[ QUOTE ]
When I type P4210 as keyword in Solution Search I get 12 hits..

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently tried it and got 20 hits - which is also not too many regarding P4210
blush.gif

I have figured out an alternative search method on Partner/Customer Connection site, which was many times more effective - at least for me.

I use the Search input field and button on the side panel of the home page. I always enter only one keyword to search. Currently I tried P4210 and got 391 hits.

After the first search I can narrow down the hits to enter additional keywords - BUT ONE AT A TIME - and marking the "Search within these results" check-box on the hit list panel.

Please, try it - maybe it will bring better results for you too.

Regards & Good luck,

Zoltán

Hi Debbie,

[ QUOTE ]
I also cannot seem to locate old KG documents using the form "OFN-yy-nnnn" or "WST-yy-nnnn" and the like. I have no idea how to translate those document IDs into a solution ID & feel like an old dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, check-out:

Solution ID 200971550 Tools Knowledge Documents IDs to Solution IDs
Solution ID 200971548 Technical Platform Knowledge Documents IDs to Solution IDs
Solution ID 200971541 Technical Upgrade_Object Management Knowledge Documents IDs to Solution IDs

...solutions and their attachments. They are cross-references between former Knowledge Garden Document IDs and New Solution IDs.

These three document list ott-, oti-, and otm- type KG whitepapers.
Please, if you (or anybody other) will find other cross-reference(s) Solution(s), which lists other type(s) of old KG white-papers, share it with us. Thanks in advance.

Hope, this help a bit.

Regards,
Zoltán

I too use the search function found on the right hand side of the Web Site. This usually gives me the best results. It searches five areas of the web site, rather than just the solutions area. If I use the SAR search I find that I get the best results if I use multiple words in the search separated by the AND option. And I usually have to try many different words and phrases before I find what I am looking for, then sort the results by date. I have run into problems for example where if I search for the word "Vertex" I might get little or no results. But I search for a particular problem related to Vertex I can get 15 results back all with the word Vertex in them. It is very strange. With the SAR search I also found that sometimes it is better to not select the Product or Release that you are using. Sometimes existing problems in lower releases are documented under a SAR in the latest version of the product and then once the solution is completed, the SAR is duplicated for lower releases. I can usually find what I am looking for within a few minutes. You just have to be creative and think up many different search words and phrases to try, and if one search engine doesn't give you what you are looking for, try another (Main Search, Solution Search, SAR Search).

Zoltan, thank you very much! It is a good place for me to start. Debbie

Back