Can I reuse an update package definition?

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
This doesn't happen too often, but it did today. My colleague built an update package, only to find out right after that one of the objects needed one more change. Is there a way to use the existing update package definition to just rebuild it? To be on the safe side, we historically have always just deleted the original update package and then built a new one. I think we should be able to reuse the existing package definition, but haven't seen anything that says we can. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've done it many times for just that reason without any problem.
Just reset the build status (take the Advanced row exit from Package Build) and resubmit the build (be sure to delete the directories... it'll prompt for this), and everything should be fine.

Don

You can rebuild the same package (with same name) as long as you haven't deployed it. If you try to deploy the same package the client machine will mark the package as previously deployed package.

Patty

Sorry Patty, I have to contradict you. We reuse the same 10 package names over and over as we have automated the package assembly. Providing you build it again this will create a new AppBuildDate in the package.inf. It this date is more recent than the last time you built it you can also deploy it again and again.

Sue
Xe SP22Q1 Coexistent iSeries V5R2

Sue

Thanks for straightening me out. I'm remember I had a problem with duplicate package names years ago so I haven't used them since. Maybe it was fixed with a release or service pack we applied. It's good to know it can be done.

Patty

Yeah, I think that was broken at some point, because a long
time ago I did have some problems with redeploying rebuilt
packages, but it seems to work fine now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll be sure to try this the next time the situation arises.

Click on the row exit Build Revisions - that will take care of all the necessary steps for you. Works very well.

Back