Upgrade and Table Conversion question

rexgregbr

Hi,

We are upgrading from Xe to 8.10 (Win2003 servers, Oracle 9.2.0.5). Right now, we are doing the PY environment, specifically business data table conversions. Our Business Data is Non-Unicode.

We were able to run table conversions for all tables, except F0911. This table is so huge that we've tryed it at least 4 times and each time we run into a segment problem. It's either rollback or temp or index.

I know it's hard for you to advise on the size of our segments, but I'd like to hear from any of you that had upgraded the system, specially if you also had misfires with F0911.

Our DBA tells me that we have around 30 million records for the table and that it's size right now is around 8Gb. Last time we've run the process, our segments were 22Gb max for rollback, 22Gb max for temporary and 24Gb max for CRPDTA.

He also tells me that we have up to 100Gb max to distribute among our tablespaces/segments in order to try it again.

1) Based on what I described here, can you advise on sizing for segments?

2) Did you ever had issues with this particular table conversion? Did you fixed by increasing tablespaces/segments or did you follow another path?

3) Should I consider taking the matter into our own hands? We've understood the process and we think that we might need less disk if we run a PL/SQL program to perform our own TC, using cursor instead of the brutal method used by the UBE. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

===========================================================
OW XE - Oracle 9.2.0.5 - Windows 2003

Luiz,

Naturally, in this case DBA wouldn't know what you needed and you wouldn't know what Oracle needed, hence a few attempts.

There's also a possible issue with the notorious ORA-01555 - "Snapshot too old" error, if the DB is being used (no matter how little), while the data is beein copied.

I reckon, you have sufficient space and have likely solved all possible issues by now, so it should go through the next time.

Predictability is really a weak area in IT. It's always much easier to explain what went wrong, than to plan in advance for guaranteed success. Especially, if the job is manual and infrequent.

Good luck. Let us know how you fared on the next attempt...

Back