transition from 8-way NorthStar to 1-Way i5

AllisonD

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Looking for hints at getting this i5 520 we have to running at it's potential. Right now EO 8.0 is running slower on it than the old 730 even when single threading jobs. Is there a document out there that give hints at tuning up the i5? Net/Net we're running more CPW and when adding in more jobs the box is great at dividing up the CPU pie and giving job it's time. It just feels like we only have the door half open. Faulting is vertually nothing compared to the 730 so I think we have all the right ingredients, we just need to mix it together in the right order. All help appreciated and urgently needed.

That's a strange one. Our 550 is loads faster then our 4-way 830 we had. Have you checked your memory pool usage? Are you starting the proper amount of database prestart jobs so they are available for sign on? What about your ethernet line description, is it showing *Full and 100M or 1G if you have gigabit? Is your HMC allowing the partition full use of the CPU or is there a range set like 0 to .5 processor usage? Have you monitored wrksysact or wrkactjob to see what jobs are eating up CPU?

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, here's where we ended up with some help from Colin. We were current on our PTF's but EDRSQL wasn't running. Also our Max Active in *Base was in excess of 780. The other issue was we had a JDE Kernal that was running out of control (76% CPU utilization). Basically, our CNC did his voodoo and EO 8.0 started playing nice. Not sure what he did at this point but that will come later. I manually brought down Max Active to 200 which brought the trashing to an end. Not sure why it didn't come down by itself but I'll get to the bottom of that eventually. Lastly we started and made sure EDRSQL will always start with TCP/IP. Net/Net we're performing as advertised by IBM. Some UBE's run 3 times faster, others are less dramatic but faster none the less. Overall we're quite happy with the 520's performance, users will soon become numb to the improvement and start telling me it's running slower again but that's the nature of the beast. The troops have the right to gripe....That's why I have a job.

Nope, it came as a off-line suggestion from Colin here on the list. Here's the quote;

Also make sure that Extended Dynamic Remote SQL (EDRSQL)is started

Use iSeries Navigator to check (follow the bread crumb below):

\<Server Name>\Network\Servers\TCP/IP\EDRSQL

Re: RE: transition from 8-way NorthStar to 1-Way i5

It's not required pre-8.9 but it does improve performance on some select UBE's, sometimes up to 400% improvement on select UBE's.

Some other hints..........

If you're on SP23 make sure you're after SP23_D1.

Use SQL packages on V5R3 with SP23. Some people turned them off on earlier release but they really help on V5R3 (close lazy support not optional).

Make sure the PTF's are up-to-date. The IBM APAR was missing some required ones a few weeks ago when I checked.

Lemme know if it improves performance for you.

Colin

Re: RE: transition from 8-way NorthStar to 1-Way i5

Thanks for the hints. I'll let you know what effect they have.

Chris

Back