Triggers on Files

DMiller

Help... Are there any special steps to transferring or getting the trigger placed on a file? I have a programmer that put a trigger on a file but I can't get it to show up.

In OMW, I check the file out, go into design tools, and then click the build table trigger button and it comes back as successful. Then I built the file in an update package and sent it to the enterprise server without any errors.

However, when I look at the file description on the AS/400 - it shows triggers as 0 (zero). What's the deal here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OneWorld Xe SP21
Deployment server - Windows 2000
Enterprise server - AS/400

Hi Miller!

Why the heck aren't you at OUG? (me either)...

Sometimes... the package build will not recognize a table trigger as a function, unless another 'dummy' function is in the build. Add any working (and good) function to the build, and see if the table trigger gets built...

Update us - and let us know if that fixes the table trigger build issue... I know we use to have to force the issue this way at a previous client.

(db)

Table triggers do not translate into a trigger on the AS/400. Trigger are
handled using the middleware. Please do make sure your triggers builds
succesfully and checked in.

thanks

Devi Misra
md2 systems inc

jde, 8.0 unix, oracle.

If there are multiple pathcodes on an Enterprise server, such as DV, PY and PD, there may be an issue with the JDE.INI. I believe the default pathcode field is used for triggers. Therefore, if you have not built in the environment for which the JDE.INI is pointing to for triggers on an enterprise server, they won't run when your program is executed. I've seen this issue personally when DV9 and PY9 were on the same box, DV9 was the "Default Pathcode" and most builds were happening in PY9 on the server. In that case a developer requested a build for PY9 and one was never performed on the server for DV9.

I had this problem a long time ago. What I found is that when in the package define you check only for "Spec Build" and not for "Function Build" the trigger gets compiled but the DLL does not get deployed. You can add another function a Daniel suggested or, as I did, simply check the "Function Build" option.
My two centavos, Gerd

Re: RE: Triggers on Files

Devi's right, you won't see the trigger on the AS/400. It's not an actual AS/400 database trigger, it's controlled by the JDE middleware. (If you were ever on co-existence, you would have seen some legitimate AS/400 triggers, JDE did use them). Have you confirmed that the trigger isn't working, or are you just concerned because you can't see it?

I tried changing the INI file to make the default environment be PY since that is the environment I am building for. I bounced the OW services, rebuilt the update package and deployed it but, that didn't seem to do make a difference.

According to the programmer, the trigger is not working for the deletes. The adds and copies are being recorded but not the deletes.

Since I had no idea what to try next, over the weekend, I built a new full PY package, deployed it to the enterprise server and the programmers PC and still the trigger is not recording the deletes.

I will try what was suggested earlier and check the special parameter and see if that works.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

Did you change all references in the INI to PY or only the environment setting?

If any (ANY) of the trigger(s) built on a table - they all built (or you would have errors.

The fact that he's not seeing Deletes - is probably due to a programming issue. It might be time for the developer to break out the C-Debugger and determine what actions are/not occurring and why.

(db)

Back