A Q on deploying packages to Citrix servers

dpeplinski

At our Xe installation, I deploy packages by putting the server into install mode by typing "Change user /install" at a dos prompt. I then install the package, and change the server back to "change user /execute"

This has an unintended side-effect, however, as the user-id for everyone at login gets set back to "JDE". I imagine there are other effects, such as type-aheads being reset. For those users who are dead-set in their methods, the user-id reset results in calls the next morning that "I can't get into JDE"

Can anyone suggest a way around the userid reset or better method?

We deploy packages to citrix outside office hours. We disable logons (in case anyone is working outside office hours) and then we have oodles of time to install the package...

We put together a series of ".BAT" files. The ".BAT" file on the deployment server zips the contents of the BIN, SPEC & RES folders and copies to CITRIX (BINNEW, SPECNEW, RESNEW).

We bring our CITRIX farm down each night for backups. As part of the restart we rename BIN to BINOLD, etc. Then we unzip BINNEW to BIN, etc.

One thing you have to make sure you do is to recompress the update packages back into the parent package before you zip the files on the deployment server. This works very well. One added benefit is that there are no packages to accept on the CITRIX servers.

We do a similar directory copy and rename process. It works well.

DPlinski, the reason why your users are seeing the "JDE" ID is that every time you do a package deploy to your terminal servers, you are updating the master jde.ini file out in the winnt directory. One of the tricks that we did was to add the following to the master JDE.INI file on the deployment server:

[SIGNON]
LASTENV=WPD7333
LASTUSER=

Adding that piece fills in the Environment and blanks out the user ID field, rather than leaving "JDE" as you have it currently.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Back