Client Access Upgrade from V5R2 to V5R3

bukosknr

Well Known Member
We went from V5R2 to V5R3 on our enterprise sever for Production. We are on XE SP23_I2. I am wondering if I should upgrade the client access ODBC driver version on my Production Citrix servers as well as my developer machines? The ODBC version right now is 9.0.08.00 (CA version V5R2) After installing V5R3 and service Pack SI17742 on my laptop version 10.00.04.00 is the new driver version.

Should be updating all my clients? I ask because I have a couple users out of our 100 some that get a Database connection error.

Just want to make sure we are talking about the clients correct? I don't know is there a way to update the SP level on the iSeries?

=======================================================
Just want to make sure we are talking about the clients correct? I don't know is there a way to update the SP level on the iSeries?

Clients - yes. The latest Client Access and SP exists on the IFS (on ours it's under QIBM\ProdData\CA400\Express\Install\Image). If you went to V5R3, you probably have something recent. You can update the SP on the iSeries by ordering a CD with the PTF or using the IBM site to download the PTF. Once applied, the IFS gets updated.

You can then go to a PC Client, set your source folder under the Properties icon to \\<your AS400>\QIBM. Then do a Check Service Level. It will upgrade the PC Client if the version on the AS400 is newer.

Grant.

So that IFS directory is just where to get the SP for the clients, it isn't like a SP for the iSeries right? Hopefully I am following you. When I get a SP I just download it from the IBM site, is that the same effect? There isn't anything specific about the one on the iSeries that I would want to use that one is there?

So that IFS directory is just where to get the SP for the clients, it isn't like a SP for the iSeries right?

Not really sure how it's integrated. I was under the impression you still need to keep the AS400 updated with the same SP level as the clients since it has a product license number (5722XE1). Off our main system menu you can see iSeries tasks which I assume get updated by the SP (PTF).

8. Problem handling
9. Display a menu
10. Information Assistant options
11. iSeries Access tasks

=========================================================
Hopefully I am following you. When I get a SP I just download it from the IBM site, is that the same effect?

From a client side, it's the same whether you get it from the IBM site or install it from the AS400 IFS which has been updated.

There isn't anything specific about the one on the iSeries that I would want to use that one is there?

From a client side, no. We've always loaded and applied the PTF which in turn updates the IFS then use Check Service Level to update the clients. For new PC installs you can navigate to the IFS and just run the setup. To update the AS400, you would order or download PTF SI17742 and load and apply it to your AS400 like a normal PTF. On the IBM site, there are also links for the SP (SI17742) which it looks like you have already downloaded. The install from the IFS and the download from the IBM site are the same files. Whether or not to keep the AS400 updated, not sure as previously mentioned.

Grant

This thread is getting complicated, when the topic is pretty simple. Since the iSeries was upgraded to V5R3, then each and every client machine connected to the iSeries needs to get updated. You can do this 1 of 2 ways:
1) Download or order the Client Access PTF cd, and go around to each and every machine and perform the update. This is what I do to ensure success.

2) You can setup you client machines to periodically check for the latest client access PTF loaded to the iSeries. Just because you load the latest client access licensed program to the iSeries does NOT mean that your client machines will update. You have to setup the verification process on the workstation. This causes latency on your network, slows down you PC and I personally haven't gotten 100% success rate.

I am comfortable with the client installs, and I understand the need to update the clients.

I guess where my question still lies is within this PTF for the iSeries. I am wondering if that does the PTF do any actual code updates? Or is it simply create a new directory in the IFS in which clients can get the new service pack?

I have never got a PTF for client access unless they have been included in the cumlative packages.

When you install the PTF directly on the iSeries, whether you order it separately via electronic communications or via tape, it does NOT update the clients. It is simply a repository in case you want to use it for the clients. This is an alternative to updating the client machines with a cd, one at a time. You could download to the iSeries, then setup an application at each desktop to check that repository on a periodic basis for updates. You do not need both the iSeries PTF AND the cd PTF.

Does the PTF update the iSeries LICPGM product? Or does it simply create a new directory in the IFS in which clients can be updated?

According to IBM when I've asked before, they say that applying the PTF to the iSeries just creates/updates the directory for downloading the client, that there is no server updates, but I wouldn't count on the answer. I always apply the iSeries PTF as well as downloading the client.

On the other hand, you might want to read ALL of the threads on V5R3. Some people have had trouble with the new Client Access SP for V5R3 and have had to revert to earlier versions for OMW and package builds to work. I'm on the fence right now. I asked IBM about it and they say that you can be two operating systems back on the client, so for a V5R3 iSeries, the client can be at a V5R1 client level.

Make sure you test your clients with all of your software before making a decision like that.

Here is the answer we got from IBM support:

"Since you install the Service Pack for iSeries Access for Window on your
PCs by using the SI17742.exe version of the Service Pack; and you do not
install or update the individual PCs from the iSeries, you do not have to
order and install the PTF for 5722XE1 on your iSeries. Installing the
iSeries PTF version of the Service Pack is similar to using the PTFFORM.exe
described in the Knowledge Base Document included in this email."

We have since installed and updated our client access version and it got rid of our users having the database connection screen showing up.

Nick

Back