Mimix DR1 and JDE E1

rixone

rixone

We are testing Mimix DR1 software...and experiencing some problems....primarily with "locks" being placed on JDE system-type files....which is causing some issues with performance and throughput.

Is anyone using this product? Would like to talk/email with them regarding how they are dealing with these...

Thanks!

We use Mimix currently as well. We've just installed and started using a performance monitoring and analysis package from MB Software. It definitely shows us some significant Mimix file I/O issues, but we've yet to uncover exactly what the issues are that contribute to our performance problem.

We certainly know that Mimix is a file I/O "resource intensive" product. We'll be learning more as we get familiar with the tool and reports of the product.

Thanks for the info. We are trying to get one complete replication...but certain JDE E1 files can hardly ever get a "lock" so the Mimix DR1 can proceed. We are starting to think that excluding important files may be counter-productive to what we want to accomplish....

Hey Rick!

Are the locks on the MIMIX system files on the files or are they record locks?

Jen

From what I understand -- they are file locks. Mimix DR1 is trying to temporarily lock the file so it can replicate it.

MB Software showed you and then did what? My experience with them is that MB shows you what I can find thru dbmon. But they don't take any extra useful steps after that.

Or am I wrong since the last time I looked at it?

A.D.

They collect some of their data through that method. However, the reporting also retrieves data from Job logs, Journals, and other system files to "summarize and aggregate" data over a determined time slice. Then, you get a comparative analysis to see if a particular application or system process is causing issues with CPU time, File I/O, initiators, queues and such.

Once you've determined an area of contention, there are other tools to drill deeper. We are just beginning to look at the other tools available and see what’s happening across the entire platform. Mimix does standout in several aspects: File I/O, CPU utilization at times are just two examples.

We will, hopefully, get deeper analysis of its processes on the system. I know we're looking at several of the file types that we are Mimixing and trying to limit many of them. No issue with "locking" has been detected yet.

We are going to download today, their latest release of the Mimix DR1 product. From what I understand they were unable to come up with a list of files/tables to exclude. Their developers will be getting on our system to tweak their product.

In my experience with the Mimix product is that you are probably seeing file locks in the IFS area that E1 utilizes. This has happened for as long as I've know customers that utilize this with OW/E1. If you do get Lakeview to provide a "exclusion" list, I hope they make it publically available and target a communication to their clients that are running E1.

In my experience, as well, these locks in IFS are usually completely unneeded as E1's core IFS structure, other than printqueue, usually isn't all that dynamic. You've got components such as kernels, package build information, installation .jar's, etc..

I'll assume that you've channeled off the Mimix traffic between the two systems via dedicated NIC's and have downloaded and installed the iSeries cluster ESU from JD Peoplecle.

Regards,

Actually, we are not yet to the point where we are attempting to save IFS folders...just trying to get all necessary OS/400 libraries saved.

The target and source "systems" are actually to different LPARs...and are using the internal network connections.

Back