Changing web versions to windows versions

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
Found this nifty little tip out recently:

You can turn a web version into a windows version.

This can be useful in two ways.

1- If you have both web users and fat client users you can convert a version that a web user created into a windows version and allow your fat client users to run it.

2- If you have spec troubles with a web version you can 'repair' it. If you go into Batch Versions you can select the web version, click Advanced and then Check Out. You can then execute a Check In if you wish to make the version available to fat client users. If your wish is to regenerate and 'repair' the web version you would execute the Check Out on your egen machine and regenerate the version.

We have had several instances where troubleshooting led us to believe that the spec for a web version were corrupted. This conversion method allowed us to regenerate a web version instead of deleting and recreating the version in question.

From Solution ID 200783616:

Versions added on a web client will be deemed web-only versions and these versions will not display and cannot be run on a windows client. Before a version created on the web client can be run on a windows workstation, the version must be converted to a windows version. The following steps must be done to convert a Web only version to a full windows client version

Check-out the version in Object Management Workbench on a fat windows client workstation.
Check-in the version from Object Management Workbench on a fat windows client workstation.
Regenerate that version to run on the HTML client again.
Deploy the version to the server and workstations as needed.

Once a web-only version is converted to a windows version, the version is no longer a web-only version and will be able to be executed from a windows client. However, you will no longer be able to make changes to the data selection and data sequencing from the row exits or delete the version on the HTML client.

Hi Brother,

I was really interested when i found your post, as we use html client and that web versions has always been an issue. At the begining of our OneWorld Projet, i had tried to see if it was possible to change web versions to normal version but without success. So we applied the rule that users should never create version. They had to create them in fat clients for html deployment.

I tried the process you explained. I created a web version in my JPY7333 environment, and then, from my fat client, in PY7333, in OMW i tried to check-out the version. But i get the following error :
"There is a problem converting one of the XML records to binary".
I tried on several UBE, but it's always the same.

Any idea of how to solve that ?
Is there something to set up to make the procedure works ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Sorry to hear that this does not work for you. I would check the solution id to see if it applies to Xe as well as ERP8.

Hi,

The JDE document where is explained the procedure says it should work for Xe with SP above SP19.
I'm using SP20, so i don't understand why it doesn't work for me
frown.gif

You can find my debuglog file attached.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 91306-jdedebug_web_version_conversion.txt
    187.5 KB · Views: 166
Hi,

I'm using OMW to check-out the version, like it's explained in the JDE Document.
But i get the same error if i try using BV.

Cheers,

Well, after some further tests, it seems that it's my fat client that has a problem. The check-out is working well from others fat clients.
I tried to reinstall my PY full package but i still get the error.
Forget about it, i will convert versions from another fat client, it's not a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Antoine,

Really glad you got this working. Thanks for getting back to me on the resolution.

Back