DD Tables in World format when upgrading Xe to 8.10

Ken_Wettlaufer

I am upgrading from Xe SP22 Update 1 to 8.10 on iSeries V5R2.

I have discovered that there are a number of tables (F00165, F9200, F9202, F9203, F9207, F9210, F9211) in library DD7333 which have a record format with a prefix of I instead of F. There are no logicals against these physical files except F9210LA against F9210. This is the format that was used for World although World was never installed here.

I have seen this before at other sites and have always saved and copied these tables, then re-generate these tables via OMW, and then copy the contents back to ensure that I have all F format tables before starting the upgrade.

However, last night when I tried to do this i was only successful with F00165 and F9211. With the other tables, OMW couldn't regenerate as it said they were being used by another job. Since I was the only user on the system, I logged out out of OMW and then back in again and this time it worked for each of the tables. I verified that they had been created successfully and then used SQL to copy the data into them from the copied originals.

This worked successfully but, when I tried to work with the data dictionary within Xe, I got strange looking errors about not being able to open particular columns. UTB could not view these tables either. There were also errors in the log file such as "Unable to open table F9200".

I assumed that the DD specs were corrupt so deleted them on the particular fat client where I was working. I then attempted to log back into Xe and, although JITIing was attemted, it eventually failed and couldn't log me in.

I had to eventually revert back to restoring my original DD7333 tables and copying a full set of DD specs from one of my Citrix servers to this fat client to be able to log back in.

Has anybody ever had a problem with re-generating these DD tables ?
If we are unable to re-generate these tables with the correct format, is the upgrade to 8.10 going to work ?

Thanks.

Ken,

this sounds very much like a SQLPKG issue. Have you tried delete the SQLPGK? I have done the very same thing in the past regarding record formats with I -vs- F. No issues.

Back