EOne8.11 & AWE

condor

Hello List:
I have been looking in Oracle/Psft/JDE site any information about EnterpriseOne 8.11 and its ability to use more than 4 GB of RAM through AWE.

Does anybody knows if it does? Does it need any special configuration beside activating AWE in Windows?

Thank you all for your feedback.
Jorge

No, it cannot. Actually, it hardly needs it.

Why do you think it may benefit from it? What kind of Server is it?

I tend to disagree. There's actually a whitepaper on tuning SQL server for E1 that specifically speaks to activating AWE for use (along with optimal disk, data file and transaction file configuration, table pinning, etc.). AWE is really a function of SQL server, so it doesn't matter what application is actually in the DB.

Regards,

Yes - SQL, but not JDE. It just can't use it...

AWE is a function of the operating system and can be used by any software built with AWE in mind. Most databases can take advantage of it, because it makes sense, but applications usually cannot and, generally speaking, do not need it.

I agree with that wholeheartedly...which was my point.
smile.gif

However, to ask "why would you want to turn it on" is also NOT a factor of E1, but many shops run MANY DB's on their RDBMS, and if you have more than 4GB on a SQL Server, you absolutely want to use it.

But again, no application, including E1 "actually" uses any memory on the server.

Regards,

Jim,

That's why I asked what kind of server this was for - if that's a logic server with no DB, than it's of no use.

Alex...

I agree again.
smile.gif
But I've never had anyone concerned with AWE on a app only server...just one running SQL Server. But again, I assumed, and we know what happens there!
wink.gif

Regards,

A handy reference:

4GB RAM: /3GB (AWE support is not used)
8GB RAM: /3GB /PAE AWE
16GB RAM: /3GB /PAE AWE
16GB + RAM: /PAE AWE

Back