Version Deployment

detroit1

Hi List,

I have a simple question that I need clarification.

1. If we create a Batch Verion in PD environment on a web/Citrix client and check it in do we need a update package ?. Also if we do this on a fat client and submit the spec on server do we still need an update package for Citrix/Web?.

2.Similarly for Inveractive verions do we need the update packages for both Citrix/Web and fat clients?. My assumption is that Interactive appl versions are available to all the users right away. I just want to confirm that if there is any thing that i am not aware of?

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

1. If we create a Batch Verion in PD environment on a web/Citrix client and check it in do we need a update package ?

Answer...Yes...any versions done on web are called skinny versions and a process must be performed to turn them into "real" versions. Skinny versions are stored in a different table than the main version table.

Also if we do this on a fat client and submit the spec on server do we still need an update package for Citrix/Web?

Answer....yes, web versions are generated from a fat client that has the specs...so for your web clients to have it the generation machine would have to have the specs and then generate the corresponding serialized object. As far as the Citrix clients...technically it's possible to do without a package, but you'd have to allow someone to either check out or "get" the specs...and that's generally a no-no unless there's only one user on the server.

2.Similarly for Inveractive verions do we need the update packages for both Citrix/Web and fat clients?

Answer...IV's do not get built in packages and should be available without a build.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply.

So for the package built do we need to have the Object (UBE)(assuming if its already in PD and no changes made in the object) included in the project alongwith the version or just a version would be sufficient?.

might as well... you need to select the UBE for the package and then you pick the version(s)...

Regards,

Back