Question on Remote development on e811

jjcnc

Hello All,

I got a question regarding the development for E811. My client have their e1 infrstructure in a data cneter and would like to do development in their office( different state).
In past We could have done this using development on citrix/ terminal server.

1) According to Oracle, we can do local development ( I dont think they really are thinking about doing a checkin and checking out Over a WAN
2) They mentioned we can shipout package for developer using CD I know its mentioned in the package builing guide but its not clear does any one have steps for this
3) Has any one tried to setup a terminal server for development in E811. I think technically it should work except when they are running the websession from the terminal server I dont know what th eimpact of this will be

Can any one share their expirince or expertise on this.

Hi jjcnc,

I develop remotely all the time over VPN from my laptop (using XP) by signing on (using remote access connections) to 2 different machines running XP professional, 1 for Xe development and 1 for E811 development (web client). No problems with performance - I have worked from different countries in northern Europe and find it as productive working over VPN from home as when I am in office connected directly to customer's network. We have separate machines dedicated to single developer and afaik are normal configured machines with a bit of extra memory (1 Gb) and disk space (80Gb) to store 3 path codes.

I am not a network expert so don't know about WAN/LAN and other stuff but it definitely is possible to develop well remotely on E811.

Hope that this answers your question.

Rgds

Andrew Holder

Yep, you used to be able to run development on a WTS, but with the advent of 8.93 or so, one limitation was running the debugger. Now, as you've indicated, the question is, with the web component (WAS Lite) run as a shared app?

In theory, I agree, should work. But what does work, is using VM ware to create virtual machines. Each can then be it's own fat client in the data center, and your remote users simply use remote control on each machine.

Please note, that ANY solution you use, other than setting up a regular fat client per MTR's, is NOT supported by Oracle, never has, and never will (until we all scream loud enough to get someone to see the value in shared development resources.

Interestingly enough...you don't NEED to put on the web piece. Development is still done via FDA and RDA, etc., it's just that now since 8.11 is web only, the addition of WAS light makes it easy for the developer to spot inconsistencies without having to request a package and Java Gen. But if you're willing to continue development as you've done in the past, you should probably be able to continue using WTS for remote development.

Regards,

Back