XE on XP?

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Hi List

Has anyone out there run into any issues with loading a JDE XE (B7333 SP22E1) fat client on a PC with the Windows XP (SP1) operating system? I am experiencing mixed results. It works fine on some workstations, but not others.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

We have XE running on many XP fat clients. Make sure you turn off system restore. Sometimes an XP machine can't take an update package so a full package has to be installed but that does happen very often. We on SP18_E.1 which may be the problem with the packages. You should add "Works most of the time" or "Works okay" to your poll.

Patty

Hi Patty,

Enjoying the sunshine down there in Florida today? We may just hit the 40s and melt off the last of the snow up here in Buffalo. On my computer, an IBM Thunkpad, the package deploys fine. On HP/Compaq laptops, the package only works if you log in as the JDE user. It even disses me when I log in as a CNC. If I take the developer over to my laptop, he logs in just fine. Same server, same pathcode, same full package. The only difference is the fat client hardware. <font color="red"> </font>

Its flaky on XP. Some of client have expirinced issues like hanging of system while doing check out etc. other have no complaints. ( system restore has always been one of the issues.)

Hi Greg.

It's another perfect day in paradise. Sunny and 80. We use Dell for desktops and laptops.

Patty

Patty,

Did you order the optional airbags for your Dell Servers that Jim Stooge was talking about? When I left the server admin world and came over to the application world, they took away my access to the server room and then moved my JDE servers 500 miles away so I can no longer whack them upside their heads when they screw up. Let me know if you get tired of living and paradise and have a burning interest in snow shoes and penguins. We'll swap jobs, OK?

Gregg

Swap jobs, no way. I'll be here until they find me face down, nine edge first. Plus, I have a key to the server room.
smile.gif

Patty

We have a lot of workstations with Xe under Windows XP Pro and we're having the same issues when receiving packages. Sometimes I'm able to installa a package after turning off any antivirus services, such mcafee. On XP we have to go through Control Panel, Administrative tools/Services and manually stop the services.
Never tried the 'System recovery' stuff but now I, sadly, know specs can get corrupted due to fails like this.

I fall into the category of most of the other replies. Sometimes accepting packages fail, sometimes they don't. I gave up on building packages on my XP machine. I have an old W2K that NEVER fails.

I just tried the 'disable system recovery' stuff and since then my packages (armed under Windows 2k) are going pretty good even in those computers where they used to fail.

I also had to disable mcafee first but it worked.

Back