Apply all ESU's (300-500)!!

DRezanka

DRezanka

Reputable Poster
Apply all ESU\'s (300-500)!!

An Oracle representative told me that the way Oracle consultants are installing today includes apply all ESU's for the applications (since they stopped baseline cum updates). He mentioned that we would probably need 300-500 ESU's for our installation. A consultant told me that there are over 3000 ESU's for 8.10 right now. Which leads to my questions...

How much work are we talking about here??? Our 2 week install time has went to 4 weeks because of bugs in the current 8.94 one off's. So how much time am I going to have to ask for for this? Will the Change Assistant help limit the time to pick through full count of ESU's?

I'm trying to figure in this time to our plan. Thanx for any thoughts.

Re: Apply all ESU\'s (300-500)!!

You should be so lucky...a 8.9 install required over 1300 ESU's for installation. Change assistant will be invaluable. Also, I think your 2 week installation window was a throwback to the days of XE/ERP 8...while it's certainly possible to do it in 2 weeks, my experience lately has been more like 3 to 4, especially when dealing with 8.11 because you really need to build full packages for all path codes.

Regards,

Hi Doug,

Personally speaking, I wouldn't install such a large
bunch of ESUs until it's really really necessary.

Of course, I'd also like to hear opinions from other
people of the list.

It seems crazy to me to install 1100 or even 200 ESUs,
just to have a software you paid for up and running.

That way the mere installation could easily take three
months, even more if ESUs need special instructions,
plus let's not forget that ESUs may also be buggy and
that they're continously being replaced.

Furthermore, on what sequence should ESUs be installed?
Numerical order from PG0000 to PG9999? We also have to
deal with ESU dependencies! My God...

Should ESUs for modules you're not using be installed too?
(Localizations is the typical case)

That's my 2 Canadian & Argentinian cents.

Best regards : Sebastian Sajaroff

---------------------------------------------------
even more if ESUs need special instructions,
plus let's not forget that ESUs may also be buggy and
that they're continously being replaced.
---------------------------------------------------

We are back a level, but those Special Instructions are a bear. We are applying XU8 and the special instructions are 210 pages. Sure, some aren't applicable but still a lot to look at.

g

I used to belong to the school of "only take what ESUs you need during install or upgrade", but after having a couple very successful upgrades by patching to beat the band, I'm a convert. Patching to current will really pay off if you plan to modify the base code. The closer you get to current, the less likelyhood you will have the re-retrofit your mods later after having to take ESUs to fix the issues you will encounter. In this situation, it will probably be less expensive in both $$ and time to take them at install vs. taking them when you need them and spending developer and functional lead time retrofitting and testing not to mention the risk of moving updated objects into production (i.e. they did test it, right?). At the very least, one should take the baseline ESU for every module they plan to use.

Of course with software of this magnitude there will always be some catching up to do with installs. But I think this is doing a disservice to the client communinty in that it's ridiculous to add so many consulting hours for such a meanial task. I recently put on 300+ ESUs on a ERP8.0 upgrade and I would venture the additional hours at 20 - 25. As a client, would you want to pay for this if it wasn't already lumped into the install/upgrade? One would think patching the system to current wouldn't be more than 5% of the time spent to get the system on it's feet, right?

Doug,

We upgraded from Xe to 8.9 last October, and we have applied about 130 ESU's thus far. During our install, we reviewed all ESU's out there for 8.9 and applied about 100 of them initially. If the ESU was for a module we don't use, we didn't download or apply it -- this included some localization-type ESU's. I'm a firm believer in applying patches only if you need them -- this takes some extra time to do some sort of analysis, but I think it's time well-spent. Also, by reading the ESU/SAR short descriptions, it can give you clues of what other types of problems you might want to be keeping an eye out for.

My 2 cents from rainy (today) Spokane, WA USA.

Doug

You say a consultant told you that there are over 3000 ESU's for 8.10 right now. Where on customer connection would I get a list of these? BTW, 3000 sounds a little far fetched.

Patty

"You say a consultant told you that there are over 3000 ESU's for 8.10 right now. Where on customer connection would I get a list of these? BTW, 3000 sounds a little far fetched."

Patty,
Try using the Change Assistant. It allows you to filter out ESUs you don't need. It also is a great help in downloading the one's that you do need. Unfortunately it falls down when it comes to applying them. There's supposed to be a new version out that fixes that problem...in March.
confused.gif

Bruster

Yeah...I agree, Doug, what are you smokin? You said 8.10 has 3000?!!? No way, it's "only" got about 2250 so far...now 8.9, well it has over 3300.

wink.gif

Regards,

crazy.gif
Yeah. As I was updating my weekly status it dawned on me that I didn't have anything to validate that number and should have challenged it. He was probably thinking about an 8.9 install at the time.

But then, 2250 is not all that far off from 3k. It's still quite a lot to weed through. Yeesh! Time I ain't got.

Wow, you guys aren't kidding? I'm working on getting connected to the change assistant but have firewall issue that I need to address with the network operations folks. Being a government entity we don't use alot of the ERP suite. Also we are not using the web. Are there any critical ESU in the financial or purchasing modules? Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

Patty,

We're a government entity, too, and I've taken 250 ESUs for G/L, Purchasing, Payroll and HR, and of course technical. A lot of them address memory leaks rather than functionality. That seemed like something worth having.

Buyer beware...3 of the ESUs were duds and prevented me from getting a clean build. I had to spend a lot of time trouble shooting those. It seems that current management is less careful about testing fixes than in the old days.

Janice
XE SP21 Migrating to E810, AS/400

Would you, please, post their names?

Whatever happened to ASU's or Updates as they were sometimes called?
I thought they were either 6 month or yearly collections of SARS you could install.
I'm really missing "the good ole' days".

I was just going to chime in - whatever happened to the updates ? Xe and ERP 8.0 had updates - but have they decided not to deliver updates for 8.x ? It doesn't seem to me to be difficult to "bundle" these.

Secondly - is there any way for "new" implementations to receive a CD with most of these ESU's burnt onto it instead of an update ?

The change assistant is ok to a degree - but it keeps crashing with Java exception errors once it reaches a certain number of ESU's downloaded. At that point, I have to start again - since it doesn't recognize I've already downloaded into the directory a bunch of the ESU's. The old java app used to recognize already downloaded stuff.

gawd, just give us an FTP server fer crying out loud.

The faulty ESUs I ran across have all been superceded except PG1142, regarding version security. In fact, the status is still available, so they haven't pulled it for reworking.

Janice

Janice

Thanks for the heads up. Are you saying not to apply PG1142 or did you tweak the code to get the package to build? Also, if an ESU has been superceded, does it show up on the list in the Change Assistant tool?

Patty

Um....ftp://ftp.peoplesoft.com
wink.gif

Secondly...it was PSFT's direction to not produce updates. However, that strategy is shifting internally and there will be updates released in the near future and the plan is to send an update CD with available ESU's with the software collection...this per Oracle E1 customer loyalty.

Regards,

I recently (March 15th) applied ESU PG1142 to 8.10 and I was able to do a full build successfully. I didn't have any problems with any of the ESUs that I applied. I applied 54 at once. We only use JDE for HR/Payroll. I did have build problems after applying all of the ESUs, but we simply had to increase our time out settings on the Enterprise and Deployment server and then the full package was successful.

I've identified 239 ESU's so far that I need to apply. We use a tiny piece of Inventory Control (non-stock commodity codes) so I'm looking at that now. I had started to retrofit when I came across this thread. I'm glad I did! I hadn't got very far into the process thank G. I have a couple of questions.

I have an OMW project for retrofits set up where some of the objects will be overwritten by the ESU's. Should I release the tokens prior to applying the ESU? Should I remove them from the project altogether?

Secondly, should I apply the latest planner ESU before I start this process.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

Back