Web client performance over dial-up connection

maranbe

maranbe

Guys,

Need to know who had experienced running jde web client on a dial-up connection and what was the performance like. We have remote sites because of some factors not feasible to be connected with WAN. Hope to get some feedbacks. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

Need to know who had experienced running jde web client on a dial-up connection .....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ronnie,

Do you know what's so great about hitting yourself in the head with a wooden board??? It feels so good when you stop.

I hope you are planning on using a hardware HTML compression appliance. We use an appliance from Boostworks. Search the list for some threads on hardware compression appliances.

If you compress, JDE/PeopleSoft/Oracle says that the web bandwidth will be equivilient to Citrix (20 KB per user). One plus for the web over dial up is that it is asynchronis. Citrix is very sensitive to your bandwidth and you will have sessions drop if your pipe gets too narrow. Good luck!!

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

I've tested E1 8.11 web client through dial-up(no Web server tuning, no hardware compression). With 28.8 Kbps speed it works little slow, especially main menu, but on 32 Kbps it's fine (2-3 sec delay) and can be used, but it has more incoming traffic than Citrix. But you can tune your web server through jas.ini - it will decrease traffic.

Thanks Dmitry for your reply.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I've tested E1 8.11 web client through dial-up(no Web server tuning, no hardware compression). With 28.8 Kbps speed it works little slow, especially main menu, but on 32 Kbps it's fine (2-3 sec delay) and can be used, but it has more incoming traffic than Citrix. But you can tune your web server through jas.ini - it will decrease traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would highly recommend adding in a hardware compression layer. You
can get a simple hardware appliance to compress your html that will take
very little time to set up and virtually no maintenance. We use an
appliance from Boostworks (that I think is off the market) but there are
other appliances out there that will do that trick as well.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Back