Concatenate Multiple Strings

nairs50

Hi,
Do anyone know is there is a business function to concatenate multiple strings in jd edwards?

internal to the ER

set variable = to something, then click on the system function (withing the form). Go to text, then concat....

The answer is cryptic - cuz I want you to work out the solution yourself... there are a ton of functions that you'll need to know about - hidden in this little area.

Daniel
<it's nice to be coding again>

I just did this yesterday! You'll find it where Dan mentioned. I'll let him be the 'teacher', since he got there first, and won't disturb his point about wanting you to find it for yourself (it was the same lesson I went thru yesterday).

And yes, it was nice to be coding again. Especially after all the SP One_off debacle's I've been dealing with.

I've used the concat(,) function several times before, but am having no joy with it today. If I explicitly feed two strings into the function - variableA = concat("string1","string2") it works.

If I feed 2 variables in, I'm getting no result, as in:

VA rpt_AddressLine3 = concat([VA rpt_AddressLine3],[VA rpt_AddressLine4])

The function above returns only VA rpt_AddressLine3, even though there is definitely data in VA rpt_AddressLine4

Does this ring any bells? Is this a data type problem?

Cheers....Grant

Hi Grant

If you concatenate strings, be aware that once the string 'is full' (the lenght of the string = length of the DD item), all additionally concatenated data will not be shown.

As a solution concatenate into a larger DD item (I use DL011 or D200) or concatenate after trimming spaces (eg
Concatenate(rtrim(Var a,' '),concatenate(' ',rtrim(Var b,' ')))

PS this also displays how to use multiple concatenations (in this case I inserted a space between the two trimmed strings)

Rgds,

Thanks for that Sef. That's exactly the issue. The concatenation was happening, but since the original data was padded out with spaces, the data was not being added to the field.

I used the Remove Trailing Blanks business function before manipulating the text and presto!

Remove Trailing Blanks, thanks that just solved my problem when outputting a string to a text file using a Table Conversion.

Back