RE: Can you Snapshot Xe and 8.9?

TRR

It does not work well at all! You can load them both but the first time you
bring up 8.9 - Xe is hosed and has to be reinstalled.

It is just easier to decide which you need most Xe or 8.9 and stick with
that. However, Xe and ERP 8 does work together without issues.

Does anyone know if it is possible to snapshot between ERP 8.9, and OneWorld
Xe? It would be good to know before I bid an impromptu farewell to my
beloved Xe install.
Thanks.

It worked with Standalone so I don't see why not.

Andy

Does anyone know if it is possible to snapshot between ERP 8.9, and OneWorld
Xe? It would be good to know before I bid an impromptu farewell to my
beloved Xe install.
Thanks.

CNC Consultant
AS/400, SQL 7/2000, TSE and Citrix

Re: Can you Snapshot Xe and 8.9?

We (today) used Snapshot successfully between Xe and 8.9 on a Fat Client.
Followed instructions from the KG (searched on Snapshot). Once 8.9 is
installed, Snapshot allows you to very easily switch between installed
packages.
--
Kevin Smith
[email protected]
Xe base, SP 20, W2K, SQL2000, Citrix Metaframe
8.9 implementation beginning ...

Well, I tried it - and it didn't go too well. I wonder if standalone is the issue here - is anyone using snapshot on standalone to go between 8.9 and Xe?
Here's what happened to me.
I had 2 existing Xe installs, happy snapshooter!!
I load 8.9, and use 8.9 snapshot. I cannot get to Xe, gloomy snapshooter.
I try to uninstall 8.9, uninstall fails - aha...
I place 8.9 as my active environment, and I re-instal Xe over the top!! desperate remedy.
Result - Bacon back on grill, Happy snapshooter, Xe works.
- but has anyone done any better with Standalone? I must check out that document on the KG too. At the moment, I'm with TRR.
Cheers,

I had a lot of issues with snapshot between 8.9 and Xe when we were running SP1_E1. After installing 8.9 SP2_E1, we haven't had any issues with it at all. Just make sure you aren't using the snapshot executable from the B7 directory and you should be fine.

Charles

Delete OW all release from Registry and HD of your machine.
After that you must to install E18.9 and use Shapshot from B9\system\bin32 for shapshot E1 8.9 before install XE.

I don't know if there is an issue with E1 8.10, Xe and Snapshot, but I am about to find out I suppose. FYI, the Version of Snapshot in the compressed file in E1 8.10 "System\bin32" folder is 1.0.0.1 which is the same version in Xe SP23 F1 and SP20S1. It really is hard to get the precise information one needs regarding OneWorld from others. :) I mean, it's always the DEVIL in the details which kills with OW/E1. So copying the B9 version of Snapshot vs an "Xe" release will most likely not gain you anything unless you are really checking at the Version level of File. The Version from the E810 Install CD is 1.0.0.1. If we can trust that, I was told by PSFT support that version should work and allow switching between Xe and 8.10.

JT

Delete OW all release from Registry and HD of your machine.
After that you must to install E18.9 and use Shapshot from B9\system\bin32 for shapshot E1 8.9 before install XE.

I second that. I had the same issue with standalone, and resolved it exactly the same way.

Snaphot for sure works between Xe and 8.9 (and 8.10 and 8.11)

The trick is always use the Snapshot.exe from the most current release. So if you switch between Xe and 8.9, use the 8.9 Snapshot.exe.

The reason for this is that the newer versions of Snapshot account for things such as the MSDE database vs. Access. The Xe Snapsot.exe doesn't work because it doesn't even know about MSDE, so how can it snapshot it?

Cheers

You can get the Xe B8.9 snapshot to work on standalone if you do this:

1. Uninstal Xe standalone
2. Install B8.9 standalone
3. Use 8.9 Snapshot.exe to snapshot 8.9 out
4. Install Xe standalone

From this point on, you should be able to snapshot between both using the 8.9 snapshot.exe

Cheers

I had Xe installed on my computer. I took the snapshot.exe file from the Xe folder on my hard drive and put a copy (not a shortcut) on my desktop. I ran snapshot from my desktop and saved my Xe version of JDE. Then I installed 8.10 and I have been using snapshot to switch between Xe and 8.10 now for about three months with absolutely no problems so far (except that after I install a package on my desktop I have to re-boot or else snapshot seems to think that there are still files opened even when there are not). But for the most part, the Xe version of snapshot has been working perfectly fine to switch back and forth between Xe and 8.10. We have done this so far now on 3 Windows 2000 Professional desktops using the fat client.

Back