Chrome browser updates and effects on JDE

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
We upgraded to JDE apps 9.2 with tools 9.2.2.6 earlier this year, with the intent of allowing our users to migrate off IE and onto Chrome.
Initially this was working fairly well, but we have seen that as Chrome updates come out (on a fairly regular basis), some of our JDE functionality either stops working or starts acting up.
A few examples are: At time of login, a user's E1 Page shows blank, and they have to switch to a second E1 Page and back to get it to show their icons. Also, if a user is in a grid with a date field, the visual assist no longer works.

I don't believe that Oracle can keep up with the Chrome updates, and likely even if they could, it would require much more frequent tools release updates.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how are you dealing with this? The possibility of using Chrome Enterprise has been floated, but I don't know that this would help.

Any suggestions, experiences or other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would agree with Chrome Enterprise and controlling updates. This can be deployed as a group policy. I see no other way to guarantee compatibility other than leaving Chrome behind in version until you are sure that your particular JDE tools release is working flawlessly with specific new version. I would argue the same strategy applies for Firefox if used and obviously IE patches. There is still the odd IE patch that can break the JDE web client.

As an aside, there is also the issue of old tools JavaScript being cached in any browser. Some of your issues sound like that type of problem. My primary site is using the latest Chrome with 9.2.3.3 tools and not seeing the issues you describe. Prior to that we were on 9.2.1.4 so perhaps there is something specific to 9.2.2.6 or 9.2.2.x.

Chrome was too much of a hassle so for the last environment (9.2.2.6 over E910) i recommended Firefox ESR.
The fact that they wanted internet access on the development clients gave me nightmares thinking about leaving an unpatched chrome on the internet :eek:
Firefox ESR never broke anything to a (more recent!) tools release for me.

Broken by Chrome75

Chrome version 75 breaks JDE E1 pages badly. The solution is to downgrade the users to version 74 and stop automatic updating (we are using the enterprise control of Chrome).
My guess is that the deprecated methods for handling canvas that are blocked in v75 are the basis of E1 pages on JDE 9.1 & 9.2.
This problem is almost certain to appear in FF and IE/Safari/Edge because the changes made by Google are justified for security & performance.

We upgraded to JDE apps 9.2 with tools 9.2.2.6 earlier this year, with the intent of allowing our users to migrate off IE and onto Chrome.
Initially this was working fairly well, but we have seen that as Chrome updates come out (on a fairly regular basis), some of our JDE functionality either stops working or starts acting up.
A few examples are: At time of login, a user's E1 Page shows blank, and they have to switch to a second E1 Page and back to get it to show their icons. Also, if a user is in a grid with a date field, the visual assist no longer works.

I don't believe that Oracle can keep up with the Chrome updates, and likely even if they could, it would require much more frequent tools release updates.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so, how are you dealing with this? The possibility of using Chrome Enterprise has been floated, but I don't know that this would help.

Any suggestions, experiences or other feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chrome version 75 breaks JDE E1 pages badly.

Interesting - I just checked our Chrome version to see if 75 is coming and we need to be ready. We are on Version 75.0.3770.80 and have no issues. We are not enterprise managed for browsers. So, either it is settings in Chrome or TR. We are on 9.2 with TR 9.2.2.5. We are planning to go to 9.2.3.3 later this summer so we may find these issues at that point.

For those using Chrome Enterprise, can you have both the Enterprise version and a current version installed on the same client? We were thinking if we could do that, we'd force the Enterprise version for JDE and leave the current version for all other uses.

What we've done for years is make the shortcut call out the browser and pass in the URL as a parameter. In the past it has been Internet Explorer, but we're thinking we might be able to do this with Chrome, too -- assuming that the different versions are located in different paths.

How would you 'force' it? Make it the default browser?

Tom

Maybe it's Citrix/Published App or some other technology, that way you could choose which browser the link is opened in.
You can have two different versions of chrome installed if you use sandboxes, or one of them being the portable edition - afaik!

Back