Periodic Maintenance - Log and other files

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
Maintenance Item - Log and other files

EnterpriseOne, WebSphere, OAS, Apache, etc. leave numerous files lying about in the filesystem. If you have enough space, these files can generally be left in place for future troubleshooting. Honestly though, I don't really care about a failed login attempt six years ago. Plus, it violates my standard of cleanliness, which I do possess regardless of what my mother thought about my room in my teen years.

Some of these files are small, benign and will never affect your system if not cleaned up. Some can grow quite large and cause an OS crash.

Method - Manual Deletion (Windows Explorer, rm -rf, etc.)

Frequency - Monthly/Quarterly

Notes- PDF Generation Temp Files in C:\Documents and Settings\servicelogin\Local Settings\Temp or as specified by temp or tmp variable on each enterprise server. These files are created during PDF generation. If the kernel/process fails during the generation these files don't seem to get cleaned up. Large UBE's are often the cause of failed jobs so the resulting temporary PDF is also quite large. The location of these files (on the OS volume) makes them troublesome.

PDF Viewing Temp Files in location on webservers specified in jas.ini tempFileDir= . Similar to the PDF Generation Temp Files, these files are created when viewing a PDF via a web client. If the connection/process dies, these files are left behind. Again, since this often happens with large files, the PDF Viewing Temp Files are quite large.

JAS Logs in C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\installedApps\nodename\instancename.ear\webclient.war\logs on each webserver. Pretty self explanatory. Can get to be pretty large if your JAS instances stay up and running as long as mine do
cool.gif

WAS Logs in C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\logs. WAS and IIS/Apache must be stopped for you to be able to delete these.

Enterprise Server Logs should be copied to a backup logs folder on every service restart since kernel processes will reuse a PID and the logs are named by PID, resulting in a mix of processes in the same log.

HTTP Logs in C:\Program Files\IBM HTTP Server\logs (or the Unix equivalent) on each webserver. Again, keep 'em if you want but I don't want six year old logs on my servers.

JAS Logs on the egenerator. Has anyone noticed the huge amount of jderoot and other log files that are created on your egen machine?

PrintQueue Directory on enterprise servers. Make sure your R9861101/2 is working. Some releases had a bug that didn't delete CSV files. Other releases just didn't delete PDF or LOG files. Follow-up on the Clear WSJ process occasionally.

PrintQueue Directory on package building machine. Every six months or so, I go in to the package building machine, ZIP up the contents of the PrintQueue directory and delete the PDF's. Maybe I am just anal like that.

A prize to the individual that finds the most/largest amount of junk on their system.

Disclaimer - As with all postings please ask questions on the forum and do not contact me personally unless:

1) you are my buddy and want to buy me a beer, 2) you wish to tell me "Happy Birthday" or 3) you wish to engage my services during December and your company is in Miami.

Back