Preventive Maintenance Model Work Order (Parts List)

Jeff George

Jeff George

Well Known Member
How do you create a list of maintenance parts for a particular Model Work Order? When you go to the Parts Detail for a Model Work Order it opens the P3002 (Work With Bill of Material). However, there is no actual Item Number, per se. You are creating a template to for the model. Do you have to create an Item Master/Branch record for every Model Work Order so that you can create a Parts List?

Yes Jeff, that is correct. You need to setup a "Kit Item" that allows you to create the BOM/Labor details under the Model WO. This is a hold-over from when they recycled the Manufacturing logic to allow you to plan parts/labor on a PM WO.

The biggest issue that you may run into next is that if you use Segregation of Duties, the Maintenance Planners often aren't allows to create Item/Item Branch records, thus you will have to grant them that ability or they are going to be sending requests to the Master Data team to create Kit Items.

Let me know if you have other questions, glad to help.

Scott Hollowell
Asset Management Solutions

Last edited:
Thanks, Scott. I was afraid that was the answer I was going to get. Since this is a new implementation of PM we still don't even have the parts for the Parts List in the system yet. And the powers that be definitely would not be granting access to the PM team to be adding their own Item Master/Branch records. They're going to have to attempt to get as many created in the first go round as possible.

I did think of another question. Are there any canned reports for tracking PM Work Orders? Our people specifically want to be able to track on-time vs. late.

Yes Jeff, that is correct. You need to setup a "Kit Item" that allows you to create the BOM/Labor details under the Model WO. This is a hold-over from when they recycled the Manufacturing logic to allow you to plan parts/labor on a PM WO.

The biggest issue that you may run into next is that if you use Segregation of Duties, the Maintenance Planners often aren't allows to create Item/Item Branch records, thus you will have to grant them that ability or they are going to be sending requests to the Master Data team to create Kit Items.

Let me know if you have other questions, glad to help.

Scott Hollowell
Asset Management Solutions

Yeah, that is definitely one of the challenges with PM's. The fact is, since there is no data conversion for PM's, you really have to look at staging your Equipment and Items in advance of Go-Live just so you can start to build out your Model WO's in PD if you intend to generate PM's on day one of go-live.

Thanks, Scott. I was afraid that was the answer I was going to get. Since this is a new implementation of PM we still don't even have the parts for the Parts List in the system yet. And the powers that be definitely would not be granting access to the PM team to be adding their own Item Master/Branch records. They're going to have to attempt to get as many created in the first go round as possible.

There is a PM Report that shows % due, but it's of marginal use in my opinion. Better option...Do you have OneView Foundation licensed so you can use Watchlists? If so, I'd recommend you setup a Watchlist on top of the P12071 (PM Backlog) with focus on the %Due field. If you setup your Queries and Watchlist correctly, you can pretty easily get alerted to overdue PM's.

Another Option is the new UXOne Landing pages. I'm pretty sure they have built Overdue PM in to the Alerts on the UXOne page.

If you or your team aren't already part of the Quest JDE CAM Special Interest Group (SIG) I recommend you joining. We have a considerable amount of recorded monthly webex content that covers some of these concepts, and we have regularly scheduled monthly meetings and a full 14 session block at InFocus conference dedicated to JDE CAM and Maintenance Storeroom operations. You can find the Quest SIG's at www.questdirect.org or feel free to message me and I'll put you in touch with the SIG President to get on the mailing list.

There is a PM Report that shows % due, but it's of marginal use in my opinion. Better option...Do you have OneView Foundation licensed so you can use Watchlists? If so, I'd recommend you setup a Watchlist on top of the P12071 (PM Backlog) with focus on the %Due field. If you setup your Queries and Watchlist correctly, you can pretty easily get alerted to overdue PM's.

Another Option is the new UXOne Landing pages. I'm pretty sure they have built Overdue PM in to the Alerts on the UXOne page.

If you or your team aren't already part of the Quest JDE CAM Special Interest Group (SIG) I recommend you joining. We have a considerable amount of recorded monthly webex content that covers some of these concepts, and we have regularly scheduled monthly meetings and a full 14 session block at InFocus conference dedicated to JDE CAM and Maintenance Storeroom operations. You can find the Quest SIG's at www.questdirect.org or feel free to message me and I'll put you in touch with the SIG President to get on the mailing list.

We currently don't have any of those tools. The PM team management is not so much concerned with tracking what's due as they are with tracking the metrics of completed maintenance. We might have to just design a simple UBE that compares Due Date versus Completion Date.

That seems like a reasonable approach and that is a common Maintenance KPI, should be a pretty simple UBE report to create from either F1207 or a join of F1207 + F4801.

In the P3002 although it's not exactly BEST PRACTICE, but works temporarily... it is possible to enter TEXT line items, in the absence of Item Master, Item Branch records. Since you are in implementation mode, you could do this in PHASES until you guys have the resources to sit and add each T line as an approved IM/IB record. Would need to devise a plan later on to address all the T lines, but at least you guys can start building BOM's on the fly, without waiting for someone else. These will carry over onto the WO, and or any requisitions generated from the WO.

But best to get those Procurement guys in line, get these parts added as stock, or non-stock right off the get-go. IMO...

HTK

In the P3002 although it's not exactly BEST PRACTICE, but works temporarily... it is possible to enter TEXT line items, in the absence of Item Master, Item Branch records. Since you are in implementation mode, you could do this in PHASES until you guys have the resources to sit and add each T line as an approved IM/IB record. Would need to devise a plan later on to address all the T lines, but at least you guys can start building BOM's on the fly, without waiting for someone else. These will carry over onto the WO, and or any requisitions generated from the WO.

But best to get those Procurement guys in line, get these parts added as stock, or non-stock right off the get-go. IMO...

HTK

If I have any say in the matter, which I hope to, I am going for the latter approach. I definitely am against doing the same or similar work twice. If it takes longer to do it correctly the first time then that's something that the Powers That Be have to accept. Or not....

If I have any say in the matter, which I hope to, I am going for the latter approach. I definitely am against doing the same or similar work twice. If it takes longer to do it correctly the first time then that's something that the Powers That Be have to accept. Or not....

Maybe you could take a different approach, and instead of thinking of them as one off entries... bypass procurement altogether, using IM/IB interops.
Interop files are IMO a better choice when it comes to adding hundreds, or thousands of new inventory items anyways.

Come up with a plan to interop your inventory into IM/IB, then follow up with BOM build.
Could do as a single load, or multiple loads based on area, or asset. START to END plan... no need for procurement to get involved IMO, but you'd want them to be in the know, maybe setup a review step within your change management process so their is transparency between departments... in what's being loaded.
Do that, and I doubt they'd have an issue.

I did add a BOM on model WO and labor as well. however when update PM status report generates a new preventive WO, it is not copying the labor and parts from the model WO.

Back