Update 6

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
We have been bouncing the thoughts of applying update 6 to our Env. We have 4 Env. however I would only like to Apply the update to my test env. Now I know that the updates has thousands of objects some of which are system object that may affect the way the system as a whole function. Can someone who has done this tell me if by applying update 6 to my test env. and replacing all the objects so I can get to be JDE base can adversely affect other system function to my live env if object that reside in sys7333 is changed.

My problem is that I cannot affect the production env. until I am actually ready to apply the update to that env.

I know this is asking a lot but I am just searching for an effective and efficient way of doing this.

Thanks for any advice.

We applied Update6 to dev/crp/euro pathcodes and a six weeks later,
applied it to our production system. As for things that would affect
the system as a whole, the update does install a number of new data
dictionary items. It also (at least in our install, techflash about it
on the KG) that it truncated the F00165 table before it appended to it,
which was felt system-wide. Luckily we were able to identify the issue
early on and get it resolved pretty quick.
In all, our Update6/SP19.1_B1 install went pretty smoothly and with a
lot fewer issues than we have had in previous updates or service packs,
but we are a pretty vanilla system, your setup may be different...

Regards,
John

----------------------------------------------------------
OneWorld Xe (B733.3)
Update 6, SP 19.1_B1
Running on: WIN2K/SP2, SQL2k/SP2
Metaframe 1.8a
----------------------------------------------------------

Xe, Update2, SP16
SQL2k, Win2k
Metaframe 1.8a

Re: RE: Update 6

We do have quite a bit of modifications and custom objects, so I know athat part will be a challenge. Now are you running on one Enterprose server or do you have a seperate production server.

If I can apply Update 6 to 1 or 2 pathcodes without affecting production at all that will be ideal. Is that even slightly psooible. I am aware of the F00165 Table append issue so that I have covered, it's those I don't know about that worries me :)

Multi-foundation is probably what you want to do. This will allow you to have multiple levels of releases on one machine. So you can test without affecting your older releases, or so the theory goes. We haven't tried it. But the thought is there for when we upgrade from 14 base to sp 20 update 6.

RE: RE: Update 6

We have installed multi-foundation and it is working well except for filling
in a couple holes in JDE's documentation regarding package build procedures.
I highly recommend installing it. You will need SnapShot on PCs running both
SPs /updates and will have to mimic SnapShot on the deployment server if you
use it to build packages.

David Silvasi
Brightpoint NA
Sun/Oracle 8.1.6 / Citrix Xe base Sp15.1 live
Update 4 / SP18.1 sandbox

Jeremy,

I have tried Multiple foundations for when we moved to SP 18.1 and it worked great, however I was not aware that it could work for an update without actually LPAR - ing the AS/400 because despite the fact that multiple foundations work for an SP upgrade it still uses the base JDE install on the Enterprise or is it not. If I can do that then that may solve some of my issues. I will verify this information with JDE and see what's their take on it.

Back