Migration to ERP8

SSAJAROFF92

Reputable Poster
Hi there!

Could anyone give me, please, good reasons to migrate from Xe Update 6
to ERP 8? What advantages are there? And the cons?

Thanks a lot, Sebastian Sajaroff
(JDELIST)-------------------------------------------------------------------
---------Strictly Personal and Confidential.
This email may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.Thanks.
Este mensaje es confidencial.
Puede contener informacion amparada por el secreto profesional. Si usted ha
recibido este e-mail por error, por favor comuniquenoslo inmediatamente via
e-mail y tenga la amabilidad de eliminarlo de su sistema; no debera copiar
el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are satified with your Xe Update 6, I do not think it is necessary to get ERP 8.
If your situation is like ours, which we have to have some new functions in Contract Billing/Service Billing/Subcontract/PO in the very near future, then you may want to consider to get ERP 8.
At this moment, I could only tell you some cons if you upgrade to ERP 8.
1. You may get a very unstable system. Because most of the SARs for ERP 8 look like those for Xe except sepcial instructions, you may miss lots settings for those new objects coming in the ESUs for ERP 8. You may find lots of fixes/broken news for ERP 8 but the SAR numbers provided in the documents are for Xe. BTW, there are some companies that still beta-test ERP 8 modules for JDE at present.
2. The DD may not be complete after you upgrade to ERP 8 from Xe so you may encounter lots of unknown errors when you execute those objects that work well in Xe in ERP 8.
Our upgrade has already made JDE GSS come out two broken news/documents, OTM-02-0025 and OTM-02-0026. I do not know whether or not there will be some more coming out soon.
Anyway, if you feel good with your Xe and can wait for a stable ERP 9 (B9) system, which may be generally released next summer, my suggestion is DO NOT do the ERP 8 upgrade yet. Well, at least, wait until you have heard some successful stories.

--Tim

Sebastian,

We've looked at this and fail to see any reason to perform the upgrade unless you have a need for the feature enhancements in the modules indicated by Tim. For us, we're hoping to see Mfg project management in B9/ERP9. Basically we don't see any enhancements justifying changing a stable environment until then.

Regards,

Hi Tim,

I agree with you but I have a client that is on B7332 and wants to upgrade. Do I suggest ERP8 or XE? It is hard to suggest ERP8 since I know that he is going to have problems and XE is finally stable. Does anyone have any suggests.

Thanks

Well, then you will have to ask your client(s) whether or not they need those new functions in ERP 8 but not in Xe. If they do need those, you would need to go for ERP 8. If they do not, you may want them to stay with Xe (upgrade to Xe) until ERP 8 becomes stable or ERP 9 comes out.
My coworkers told me that they had terrible upgrade experience when upgrading from B7332 to Xe. The interesting part was that our company hired a consultant to do the upgrade process from B7332 to Xe. :)
Probably, you may encounter similar issues we encountered during the ERP 8 upgrade process. Please read my another post, Experience in ERP 8 Upgrade from Xe, here. So, if you check all the loose bolds and nuts, I think you will be fine, either ERP 8 or Xe.

--Tim

Adri :

If I were you, would recommend to your client to migrate to Xe.
If you want to keep happy clients, install them a stable and well
known product such as Xe.

Sebastian Sajaroff (JDELIST)

I wander if at this stage (I am in the same case : B7332) is worth trying to upgrade to Xe. I undrestand that ERP9 will bring as a result the increase in maintenance to Xe as ERP8 has done with B7332.
My problem is how to sell to the Administration that every 2 years an upgrade and implicated costs will happen..... maybe I am wrong.
Any comments ? will be appreciated.

Back