Linux and One World

jakobbg

Could anyone inform me about how One World will work with Linux? At all? Any experience, anyone?

Oneworld currently does not run under Linux.
You could run your DBMS under Linux on a separate box from the OneWorld Servers though.

Larry: do you have any experience running the DBMS (in our case it´s Oracle) under Linux on a separtea box?
do you know somebody with that configuration?.

Best regards,

Luis

--------------------
Oneworld currently does not run under Linux.
You could run your DBMS under Linux on a separate box from the OneWorld Servers though.

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials
--------------------

Could anyone inform me about how One World will work with Linux? At all? Any experience, anyone?

--
Yours sincerely - Jakob Breivik Grimstveit (cell: +47 48298152)
System Integrator, Star Shipping, IT Department (office: +47 55239715)

Hi
PeopleSoft recently announced support of Linux Enterprise Edition 2.1 with Release 8.10. I went through MTR for 8.9 today and found out that they certified it only with DB2 8.1. We have Oracle database and also checked at Oracle web site and they support Oracle 9i on Red Hat Linux 2.1. I am trying to find from Global support that where they have plans to certify Oracle database on Red Hat Linux 2.1.
I have seen in the past that PeopleSoft test the new release with IBM products fist and then they test it with other vendors.

Hope this is helpful

Luis,

1. No we do not run Oracle under Linux.
2. Search the forums for keywords Linux and Oracle. Look for posts by AltQuark on this subject. He has done this and more.

Be advised that peoplesoft does not yet support any configuration involving Linux ... but they do have such a project in motion - should be completed sometime before the end of the year.

Regarding your other post asking if you can run your DBMS on another server the answer is yes - OneWorld is well architected for this.

Regards,

I was able to get in touch with PeopleSoft Support regarding the support Linux with Oracle and they told me that there are plans to test linux with Oracle and they are shooting to make it available with 8.94.

Thanks

Support for Oracle under Linux is relatively simple, and works extremely well - as long as the Application Server architecture is a supported Oracle architecture (Wintel/AIX/HP-UX or Solaris).

From 8.92 (I think) - JD Edwards will be officially supporting Linux as an Application Server. 8.92 is the current service pack. Although "officially" JDE will support Linux as a database server in Service Pack 4 - the drivers for OCI should be bundled in the current service pack (unless they really mucked it up !) - I haven't had a chance to look at the application server code yet, but as long as JDBOCI is bundled, then it will support OCI with no issues.

Running Oracle on Linux doesn't give many benefits, except for a lower cost with regards to hardware. The closed-source versions of unix work with Oracle very well, and will usually outscale linux to some degree. However, Linux oracle IS more reliable that Windows Oracle - and the cost for the OS licenses is substantially less.

However, the performance of Linux as a Java Server is substantially higher than any of the other solutions - including Windows - up to a factor of 5 times faster ! But you'll all just have to wait until Quest Global to hear about that...!

I am looking forward to running tests with the Application Server code running under Linux. Although Redhat is the "official" supported release, I also expect different flavours of Linux to also provide different levels of performance.

Back