Defective Parts & Claims

mangeshnadgauda

I have couple of questions .

1. Can I use RMA for recording defective parts.

I mean I do have a base-warranty contract with the customer, so when the customer is having a problem with the equipment, the defective part (only PART not the whole finished good) is replaced. So in this situation can I use RMA to receive/replace the defective part against the the service order.

2. So once I receive/replace the defective part, how do I raise claim with the OEM.
I know how to raise the claim if the service provider is involved. But in this case I don't have any service provider, and I want to raise claim from whom I bought the equipment (i.e. OEM)

Regards,
Mangesh.

Mangesh,

1. Yes you can use an RMA to record a defective part but it a back-to-back Sales Order/Purchase Order so is only a mechanism for authorising/receiving the defective Equipment and Shipping a replacement. You can use a one sided RMA to ONLY record Receipt, or ONLY record Shipment. I think this entire RMA business may be overkill for any Business that has a Service Order in place to do the work. Most service work involves throwing away defective parts - in which case an RMA really isn't necessary unless you wish to have some separate record of the Scrap. However, some industries are interested in refurbishing spares if they are of high value. Either way the Service Order and RMA can be used together or separately - there is no great co-dependency. I advise use one or the other - not both at the same time. This is just common sense rather than any OneWorld restriction.

2. Raising a Claim with the OEM is handled one of two ways - you have identified and ruled out the Service Provider Route already. However, you would have had to PAY the Service Provider, NOT the other way around! (I admit that I cannot see an easy way of making this work unless the Service Provider is a Contractor directly working for you.) The other route is to use a Service Order and a non-stock Service Purchase Order if you wish to pay the OEM. By the sounds of it you wish the OEM to pay YOU. This means you need and invoice. To get one of those you need raise another Service Order or some kind of non-stock Sales Order with the OEM as the Customer.

Well, that's the theory...

Mark,

For question -2, raising the SO on OEM which would also help me to raise the invoice.

Regards,
Mangesh.

Back