files not updated during item revision

lyqueen

hello,

i'm wondering why some files such as F4311 and F43199 and especially F3011 failed to be updated when revisions to the 2nd item no. were done?

i have been checking the updates but always found F3011, and ocassionally F4311 and F43199.

this is rather frustrating as the system doesn;t seem to update the files it promised. this has complicated the global updating process. of course, the global update has been switched on.

can somebody help?

thanks.
p/s: we just got updated to SP18.1 without update 6.

[crazy]

yes...they are defined in the UDC.

lyqueen
One World XE B7333, SP 13
Intel NT4,SP 6A
SQL 7, SP 2

Global Update of Second Item Numbers is not global.

We disabled our users ability to change Item Numbers because the global update is a joke.
If the number needs to be changed, we have the users obsolete the old and replace with a new item.
Very rarely we have used a SQL script we wrote that changes the Item Number in 20+ tables (there are many more tables that could be affected but we don't use them).

Regards,

Are your users all using the same version of Item Master (P4101)? It has a processing option under the "Global Update" tab which controls whether item # changes are propagated to Item Branch only (value 1), to all the UDC-specified tables (value 2), or no updates (value blank).

We had a problem a year or two ago where one user was getting into a different version of Item Master through a row exit, and this different version had a different value in this processing option than our usual production version.

hi dsauve,

yes, all users using the same standard version of item master - ZJDE0001.
and the processing option has been set to 2(Transfer changes to 2nd and 3rd
item numbers).

thanks.
lyqueen

lyqueen
One World XE B7333, SP 13
Intel NT4,SP 6A
SQL 7, SP 2

dear larry,

wouldn't the creation of new items while putting old items to obsolete need a change to the existing BOMs as well? and we may be talking about more than one BOM here as they may be common parts. how about cost simulation for first-time manufactured parts?

just wanted to learn from you on how you manage this issue as i also gave my users the same option you are currently taking.

thanks for your feedback.

lyqueen

Lyqueen,

yes of course - BOMs and cost structures are affected if the item in question is on a Bill.

Changing an item number here is actually rare. Some of our items are customer specific (part of our business is Engineer To Order) and the item number structure has a specific convention for a customer/product. If this is goofed up and detected late in the process our product design group will generate an ECO to correct the product structure (using a new item to replace the old).

Since this is ETO typically we don't have inventory issues to work with - but if there is inventory then once costs are established for the replacement item we adjust out the old items qty then adjust in for the new item.

Any WIP in process is handled by changing WO Parts List if absolutely required. If the item in question has already been issued then it may be easier to just wait for the WO to finish.

I attached a worksheet of tables with Item Numbers that may help you if you go a SQL/Custome Program route to change 2nd Item Number.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 40415-Tables with Item Numbers.xls
    97 KB · Views: 294
Back