Multiple Processor Support - Deployment Server

Mr_Bigglesworth

Greetings:

I have read a few differing opinions on this subject. I was unable to get a clear answer from JDE support.

We typically build our packages on the Deployment Server.

Will the package build process recognize and take advantage of a second processor? Or will the second processor sit idle?

I have heard that only the BusBuild process will use multi-processors. If so, would this be a significant improvement?

Thanks for any input.

XE Update 4, Win 2000, SQL 2000, Intel

It usually helps, but it doesn't half the time: usually specs are built at the same time as it compiles some 20 odd libraries and you have quite a few processes using a lot of CPU running in the system, so it makes sense to have 2 CPUs.

The effect of installing the 2nd CPU depends on what is your current bottleneck, e.g.: if your server now builds all specs in 2h and then keeps compiling BSFNs for another 2h, then it will help quite a bit, but if it's the other way around - then there will be no improvement at all.

You Dep/Server can also be disk-bound on top of this, so it's really hard to tell without doing some benchmarking first...

Regards,
Alex.

One of the reasons I like having two processors is the improved response time when trying to do something on the server during a package build.

Also, you can add another processor for about $500 these days......

Back