Update Pkg Deployment

TAldemir

Hi There,
After a version of a UBE that runs on the server is modified in DEV, and gets moved to PROD via PY (21 to 26 to 38 trip), I build an update pkg for the SERVER only containing this UBE along with its version and deploy it to the server. Since this UBE is executed only on the server, I do not build and deploy a CLIENT pkg. However, after the SERVER pkg deployment, when the end-users run the UBE/Version on the server they still execute the older (pre-modification version). When we go-ahead and check out the modified version to the specific workstation, then the execution of the UBE/version which still runs on the server executes the modified version. I am confused here. Why would a UBE/Version that is executed on the server require the workstation's version specifications to be refreshed? Am I missing something here?

Hi Tony
If you change the processing options then you do not need to build the package.. since processing options are stored in the tables.. not part of specs.
If you change the anythings that is part of spec then you need to build the package ( Exception for new versions if the JITI enabled then the version will be Jittied down otherwise not. If the batch version already exist in the target environment then it will not be jitted down and you will have to build the package.).
Now coming back to your questions when you run UBEs on the fat client then data selection etc is done at the client end.. not at the server end(Exception of data selection is scheduler). This is one of the example why you need both server and client package
So if you modified the data selection in the version and does not build the client package then user will still see the old default data selection..
If you have a Citrix server then make sure to include all the versions during the package build( There is known bug in JDE if you do not include the other versions then other versions will be deleted if the JITI is not turned on for the environment).

Tony, have you tried this jde.ini setting. Defaul is Y.

[NETWORK QUEUE SETTINGS]
InstallSpecs=N

After a version of a UBE that runs on the server is modified in DEV, and
gets moved to PROD via PY (21 to 26 to 38 trip), I build an update pkg for
the SERVER only containing this UBE along with its version and deploy it to
the server. Since this UBE is executed only on the server, I do not build
and deploy a CLIENT pkg. However, after the SERVER pkg deployment, when the
end-users run the UBE/Version on the server they still execute the older
(pre-modification version). When we go-ahead and check out the modified
version to the specific workstation, then the execution of the UBE/version
which still runs on the server executes the modified version. I am confused
here. Why would a UBE/Version that is executed on the server require the
workstation's version specifications to be refreshed? Am I missing
something here?

Tony,

Version specs are always submitted to the server from the client machine calling the job. If you submit a UBE to the server and check the jde.log it will say something like "Submitting R0010P, XJDE0001 to ENTERPRISE (with Specs).

So if you make changes to the version you need to build and deploy the client package also. Especially if they have run this job in the past. If you are only making changes to the UBE template, then the server package should suffice.

Exceptions are jobs called from the scheduler. The version specs must already be on the server since no client machine is calling the job.

Hope this helps.

DeRay Scholz
DJ Orthopedics, LLC.

Hi DeRay,

I hope all is well with you.

Thank you for your explanation. Now, it all makes good sense.

Take Care,
Tony

Regards,
Tony Aldemi

Hi Richard, can you explain that setting? I have talk with JDE this morning and the person was not able to tell.

Thanks!

XE
Update 2, Service Pack 17.1
Oracle 8.1.5
Windows NT Enterprise Server
Thin and Fat clients

Back