Vertex Tax Register w/ JDE Sales Order Question

JasonP

We have just implemented Vertex Quantum for Sales and Use Tax (QSUT) for our Sales Transactions. When started using the information which is written to the Vertex Tax Register from JDE Sales Order Transactions, in order to process our Returns, I noticed a "bug":

The date stored as the "Transaction Date" in the Vertex Tax Register for an order is the Date that Sales Update (R42800) was run for that particular order, and NOT the actual Sales Order Date (F42119, SDTRDJ).

What I actually discovered from talking to Vertex Support (Vertex, not JDE) is that for Sales Orders, JDE does not pass a value to the "Transaction Date" field in the Vertex Tax Register. When this happens, the default date assigned to the transaction date is the system date.

This is an issue for our company (and I assume would be for most), which does not close our month on the last day of the month. We typically enter sales orders for a month for up to two weeks into the next month. While obviously you can assign a retro-date to the "Order Date" field in the Sales Order screen (I.e. use "7/31/202" for a July order which is not input until 8/13/02), the transaction date that will be written to the Vertex Tax Register will be the date you run the sales update program, regardless of the order date. Thus, when we run our Quantum Returns application and tell it to include Transaction Dates for July 1-July 31, any July orders input after July 31 WILL NOT be included, AND, any June orders which were input during early July WILL be included. This makes tax reporting (especially reconciliation for tax payments) a nightmare.

In my opinion this whole issue would be resolved if there was somehow a way to assign the Order Date (F4211/F42119 SDTRDJ) to the Vertex Tax Register Transaction Date.

I have made an attempt to look into the Sales Update (R42800) event rules and have found that a function exists in the "Sales Update and Report" Section, in its "Do Section". The function is called "Load and Retrieve Vertex Cache" (B4000050, Data Structure: D4000050A). In this function it appears you can see where the Order Number is assigned to the Vertex Tax Register Invoice Number, but there is no where to assign the Transaction Number (consistent with what Vertex Support told me). However I am not too familiar with business functions in general and how they work, and may be looking in the wrong place altogether.

My question is, has anyone else using Vertex noticed this problem as an issue, and, if so, how have you gone about resolving it? What would be the best way to write the JDE "Order Date" to the Vertex Tax Register "Transaction Date" field?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Jason Plaster
PentaSafe Security Technologies
OW B7332 SP 17.1

Been there, done that.

For some reason, JDE and Vertex can't seem to get together on this problem. We actually modified several JDE programs (invoice, sales update, On-line invoice) to use the invoice date instead of the order date. There are one or two BSFNs that need to have a parm switched to make this work.

It seems to me that it would be very easy for JDE to put a processing option on these programs (or a company constant), to tell these programs which date to use.

True, that would be an improvement as well to make the Vertex "Invoice Date"
equal the JDE "Invoice Date". However, I'm refrerring to the Vertex
"Transaction Date"...you have to use this "Transaction Date" in your
criteria of creating the Tax2000 file, which is really lame and a bad idea.
would you be able to tell me which BSFN's you modified? Thanks for the
response.

True, that would be an improvement as well to make the Vertex "Invoice Date" equal the JDE "Invoice Date". However, I'm refrerring to the Vertex "Transaction Date"...you have to use this "Transaction Date" in your criteria of creating the Tax2000 file for which to use Quantum returns, which is really lame and a bad idea (at least for integration with JDE). would you be able to tell me which BSFN's you modified? Thanks for the response.

I don't use quantum returns. If you want, I'll just email the mods to your email address.(?)

Back