Full Package Build

samlsc

I need more understanding about Full Package Build. I understand that when a Full Package Build is done, it is supposed to be tied to one specific environment eg. PD7333. Hence, I am supposed to be able to login to PD7333 right? Supposedly, I cannot login to PY7333 because it isn't specified in my package right?

However, when I install the package tied with PD7333, I can still access PY7333 and DV7333. How is this possible? Does that mean all ESUs and Service Pack tied to the package(supposed to be only for PD7333) will also be applied to PY7333 and DV7333?

[crazy]

Hello,

When you build a full package it merges the specs, and recompiles the objects amongst other things. Yes it is tied to one environment, but you will still be able to access the other environments becuase you are not deleting them. There is an issue with deploying the full packages out to fat clients, where if you don't copy out your other environments there is a good chance they will be destroyed when you deploy out a full package. But that is only on fat clients and not servers.
So to make things clear, even though you build a package for a specific environments you will still be able to access all other environments that you have installed.

Jeremy is right, however the deletion of path code on fat client if my memory serves me correctly was with SP 14.1. Also to access the other path codes they have to be installed on the PC you are trying to access them from and you also have to have the env. tied to you user name else you will not see them as being availalbe.

Thanks for the inputs, Jeremy and cleolai. Does that mean that if I perform a fresh install with a base package that only contains PD7333, I can only access PD7333, even though the other environments are tied to my username? However, I can still access the other environments.

Does this mean I am taking the existing DV7333 and PY7333 from the server? And if it is, which package does it come from? Jeremy, when you say delete the package, do you mean deleting from the fat client? This is because we built a package specifically for PD7333 with all ESUs and Service Pack 18.1. We are afraid other environments will be getting the ESUs and Service Pack as well.

Sorry if I sound confusing.... because I really am. [:-(]

Good morning,

No, if you do a fresh install of PD7333, you will be able to access all other environments that you have installed and have been granted permission to.
When I say delete I mean to go and remove the packages through Work with Packages from the System Administration menu.
If you built a package for PD7333 with ESUs and SP 18.1, hopefully you applied them to DV7333 and PY7333. If not you could be in for some trouble if you didn't test them out. When you apply an ESU it is best to apply in DV7333 and then PY7333, test it, then if all is good apply to PD7333. That way if there are any problems you won't be hurting what is already in production. ESUs do not affect environments they are not applied to. SPs, I haven't worked with yet, we will be doing 19.1 within the next month or so.

Hope this clears a little of the confusion up.

Back