Remote access survey

Gomesrp

Hi people,

In your honest opnion, which is the best way to implement a remote end-user access for JDE-XE?

My database server is a AS/400, and I need to connect up to 100 user around the country.

Any thought wil be strongly appreciated.

Thx in advance,

R.P.G.

Have you thought about Citrix and TSE? It works quite well for us.

I can't comment on HTML because we haven't implemented it yet.

With clients "around the country" I'm guessing multiple sites. Unless you have really big bandwidth keeping fat clients up to date is likely to be painful so it's looks like thin clients are the answer.

TS vs Web
We're trying to do as many web clients as possible and that's got a lot to do with it being cheaper. Functionality is good although there are a few areas which won't work (Sys Admin and development type stuff) and paging down through large multi row grids is a bit more labourious. However, it does give us the options to link in intranet and other Web services if required.
We've tried out the TS route in a small way as we already run a Citrix farm for another application and it is nice. Executing OneWorld on a reasonable server hardware (under Citrix) compares very favourably to running it on some of the tired old PCs we have in some locations.

There looks to be a lot of investment in the Web direction from JDE at present which suits us. In the end both thin approaches work - if you've got in house people skills in either direction that could be important. WebSphere and Citrix both have a powerful lot of settings.

R,
We are based near San Diego, CA and have Citrix clients in Germany, UK, Canada and Mexico.
As far as speed perception goes, the local users of "FAT" clients, who visit these "remote" users, claim the Citrix look and feel is faster. (They don't know they are "remote controlling" their sessions thanks to the seamless application feature of Citrix)

But. . .
If you read the JDE writing on the wall you will see the WEB client is the direction they are persuing. We are taking a hard look at WEBSPHERE.

The Doktor

Back