Implementing OW for new location

tmackin

Reputable Poster
We have implemented JDE OW at our facility and are considering bringing up another location. We are looking for feedback on a couple of scenarios we have talked about.

1. Incorporate the new location into our existing production environment.
2. Using our development environment as their production environment.

In the first scenario, we would need to keep all data separate and distinct being that each location has no need to see each other's data. We might like to combine the financial information for reporting purposes, centralize the A/P and A/R functions but keep all other functions separate to each location. How would we accomplish this? Would this be feasible? Is there an easy way via OW security to control access? Do you see any possible problems down the road?

In the second plan, we would sacrifice the development environment and let it become production for the new location. If we went this way, do we have to have a complete set of objects and tables or could we just have tables for the new location and share objects?

I would like to hear from anyone who has implemented multiple locations or has any other comments as to the pitfalls of either scenario. Waht are the pros and cons for each plan? We are a small shop, have no mods to OW, only one software support person. Looking for the best solution to ease the support function. TIA

Have you considered setting up a separate branch plant for your separate location? This would enable you to keep your records apart for each location. I would have the cost set up by branch plant - which will allow you to have different costs for the same item at each branch, and if you did need to copy records from one branch to another - this is a fairly simple procedure. This would also help in deploying packages, and such. Security would allow you to lock indviduals from going into the othe branch.

I'd like to add some additional comments to Lori's.
We are a multi-plant environment. We're currently live with five branch
plants plus our corporate office and plan to implement five more plants. We
where on separate systems before JDE and most of our plant utilized a common
item numbering system, for the most part, controlled by our engineering
group. Our facilities are primarily manufacturing, distribution, and
service oriented.

Yes you can have separate companies and branch plants on the same
environment. Keeping them on the same environment will make your reporting
requirements easier. Do your companies have distinct item number schemes?
If you have common items between your companies you'll need to reconcile
item numbers, descriptions, G/L codes, and units of measure (primary and
others). These are concerns because you'll be using the same item master.
Do you have items with different UOM conversions between branches? If you
plan to have both branch plants under the same company you'll need carefully
designed distribution and manufacturing AAIs. If you use Vertex and sell
product from both branches the new company may be a must. Do you anticipate
using A/R by line of business? This will also require a separate company.

Walt Sellers
Heil Environmental Industries, Ltd.
OW B733.2 SP10, Citrix, Windows NT TS2000, Oracle 8.1.6

Hi Tim,

I agree with Lori. You can simply use business Unit security to block access to data. It is going to be easier to do consolidation and sharing address book, A/R and A/P.

Another alternative is to create a new environment that shares the Production Central Objects but points to another business data and Control Table. But you with not be able to share A/R and A/P.

HI Do you know how to secure users from accessing other branch data? Right now we have all of our plants in same production environment. And we would like to disallow users from updating other plants data.

Thank you,

Carlos Carrillo

Carlos, not being of the "techy" group, I am not completely sure, other than by using the securty work bench. Since JDE allow's security down to the field level, you could set the users for each branch to have their default branch in this field, and then apply the field securty to disallow them from changing. Remember - I am not of the techy group - I am more comfortable with the application side.

Back