One week to Go Live

Lori Gibbs

We are one week until our go live. Any suggestions? Any horror stories to share - or is it just something one has to try to live through? Any advise?

Lori,

No I don't have any Horror story, I prefer when there is no horror.

OK to be honest with you, most of the GoLive that I saw went well !

I'm not talking about fixing some small bug (mainly stuff you will forget to update in prod, like UDC) that take a day or two to fix them all, that's normal to forget sometimes.

I just wish you a nice and happy GoLive ! don't stress about it !

Christian Audet

Lori,

I may seems not stress at all about GoLive in my last eMail, bacause I did not told you any horror but since it's different from client to client then we never know.

I don't have any special thing in mind but most error that I saw was something the implementation team forgot rather than OneWorld Horror.

Christian Audet

Lori:

I echo Christian's comments. As long as the integrated testing was complete and thorough, and the issues resolved, there shouldn't be any major surprises. There may be sone small set ups missing (like UDC's), but those are relatively minor, and easily corrected. The one other issue I have seen deals with security, users not being able to get to the required functions. That also is easily fixed.

Good luck!

Thansk for the feedback - we have been testing for a year now, so I am pretty sure we have looked at things from most angles. I expect a few burps - but was just curious if anyone had experienced anything major.

Two words... "Data Conversion"

This is usually the cause of most "Go Live" issues in my experience. This is also the least tested aspect of many implementations, in my experience. If you have done complete and thorough testing of your data conversion procedure then you should not have many issues.

Good luck with your "go live"

That and blessed be the person that can run SQL statements for those last minute changes!!

Go lives are much easier when you have dedicated, educated, willing employees like you!

Keep up the good work!

Lori
One contingency plan we have always found useful is to have consultants on deck for at least the first few days of the Go live particularly in the business critical areas (in our case Sales Order & Despatch) to help with any issue that could hinder the business. It also helps to spread the load of "hand holding" in the first few days. Several days later we typically booked a consulting resource "on standby" for the areas further down the line such as Financials for when the transactions start really coming through and the users are starting to work with the system.

Good luck!!

Thanks for your input. We have already gotten the consultants on board for both the week of and I believe the week after, and then will probably bring the Financial Consultant back for our first month end closing, and then hopefully we will have a breather to prepare for our annual inventory (Oh Boy!)

A month later can you tell me how was your GoLive, I'm two weeks away from my GoLive and I saw you were testing for about 1 year. I'm doing an Express implementation in only 4 months!.

Are you only going live with certain modules - or are you using the "big bang" theory - turning it all on at once - which is what we are doing.

It's been just about a month now - and for the most part, things are going well - You do discover who REALLY understands the system and who doesn't during go live! We have had some data issues and a couple of custom forms and reports that have been casuing us some grief, but we are getting through it. I can't emphasize enough the importance of TESTING AND TRAINING. Test every sceneio you can think of! Double check your data - and how you have it set up. I will say this, with all of the stress and such we went through - it's worth it - because how much more this system can do for us - than the one we had before. Good Luck with your go live - let me know how it goes.

Back