Automated Message Answering for MRP

Lori Gibbs

Was wondering if anyone has attempted an automated process where MRP messages for production work orders are answered automatically. If you have attempted - what were the results, pit falls, or is it even possible. Looking for ways to streamline the process.

Lori:

First, let me say I am not a strong proponent of automatically processing messages from MRP without someone looking at them first.

That said, there is a job (R3411) to run in batch or subsystem that processes the messages from MRP based on the data selection. One client of mine ran this to release WO's only, and reviewed them before attaching parts lists and routings. They set up a specific version of the WO entry program identifying a WO status of "To be reviewed", and called that version from the R3411. They did not allow rescheduling of orders automatically. The same process could be used for PO's as well.

Good luck!

I agree with someone reviewing, and not allowing automatic schedule updates. The only issue i see is that the system will allow you to process a workorder with out a parts list, routings or cost attached, which of course makes the cost accouting job more of a challenge when running completions.

Back