DB System Settings

pwplus

We are setting up a hot standby ES (using Mimix) with production only. While testing the standby ES, we found that the jde.log files generated by UBE's and kernels have errors like the following: "TAM: Tamfopen /DV7333/specfile/glbltbl.xdb error 3025-Std C errno=3025 : No such path or directory". While investigating this we found the ES jde.ini had the Default Env and Default PathCode parms of the DB SYSTEM SETTINGS stanza set to DV7333. We changed these to PD7333 on our standby ES, restarted services and had no more of these errors. My question: In what instances do the kernels and UBE's use the spec's pointed to by these 2 parms? From what we saw, every UBE looked for glbltbl.xdb and gbrlink.xdb in the pathcode pointed to by these parms.

TIA

You only have the PD pathcode installed on the hot standby, correct? Thus, if you try to submit reports from PY, you should see similar errors. Remember, the default entries are what will be used when the services first come up, the pathcode that you are submitting from will be used at that point.

This setting is used to define the default environment for OneWorld to use prior to validating the JDE user and enviorment via security. On an ES, I would assume this occurs at RUNBATCH startup before security has been validated.

But we saw these errors in the jde.log files of UBE's which were run in PD
after services have been started.

Thanks,
Pat
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: DB System Settings

if you try to submit reports from PY, you should see similar errors.
Remember, the default entries are what will be used when the services first
come up, the pathcode that you are submitting from will be used at that
point.

Patrick Plusnick
OneWorld/XE SP 14.2, ES AS/400, DS NT 4, Citrix Clients on WIN2000

The problem was, the JDE.INI had the default path code and environment pointing to DV. Therefore, it didn't matter what UBE you were running or where. It would always look to DV to validate security before running.

Without DV on your Mimix AS/400, it could not run unless the JDE.INI was changed to PD, which is why everything works now.

So, if I understand this correctly, every UBE uses the specs pointed to by the Default Env and Default PathCode to get the table definitions and business rules necessary to set up the environment in which the UBE will run whether that environment is PD, PY, or whatever. I should have looked in the Server and Workstation Administration manual more deeply. This process is explained in the "Understanding OneWorld Initialization for AS/400" section. I read this when we began our OneWorld implementation about 15 months ago but at that time it merely added to my confusion. It is all becoming frighteningly clear now ;v) Thanks for the help.

This is a known issue:

see KG Document OTI-01-0031 - Title: Server Kernels Fail to Start Due to
Settings in [SECURITY] Section in the JDE.INI

When each UBE runs it does a security check, in your case it uses the DV
environment from your JDE.INI. No DV on the Server hence security error.
Just change your JDE.INI to reference PD, I would suggest for safety and
certainty, that you change all environment references to PD (as it is the
only environment on the ES).

OW733.3 Xe SP 14.2
Enterprise Server - Intel NT + Oracle 8.0.6
Client - Citrix TSE + 4 NT PC's for development

Back