Separate Servers

cinmiller

[crazy] Our current set-up is as follows;
Windows 2000 Server with NT/SQL2000 1 instance of SQL for all environments. We are in the process of defining a project for Purchasing and Inventory and we need some input on
the following.
1. Is it better to have Development and Production completely separate? On different servers with their own SQL.
2. Does a separate instance of SQL on the Primary Enterprise Server for Development protect Production.
3. If do a completely separate setup do we need two deployment servers?
4. Can we have update 5 installed in planner and deployed to our test server using the same deployment server, then later install a pre update 5 ESU and deploy through the UP3 environments without risk?

Interesting questions:

1. Is it better? If you have the servers and the money, it would be nice. It's a little of a hassle though.
2. What do you mean by "protect production"? Remember you will have separate databases for each pathcode, so they are already separate.
3. You do not need 2 deployment servers. OneWorld was designed with distributed processing in mind. You can have different users go to different databases for the same environment if you like, it is extremely configurable.
4.You can do this. The easiest and least risky way would be to make a copy of the jdeplan and jdeb7 access databases on the deployment server. Apply update 5 to one copy, and then do what you like to the other copy. Remember also that an update is applied based upon pathcode, so you can apply esus and updates based upon pathcodes, not based upon system. IE update 3 in production, update 5 in PY, with only 1 Deployment Server.

Hi,

1. Is it better? No, it will complicate your life a lot for very little gain.

2. Is it better to have Development and Production completely separate? Yes. Create another enterprise server to run PY, DV, and JD. On this Enterprise server instal SQL and move all PY, DV, and JD databases also. Advantage, if you have a major enterprise server failure, you can recover quicker.

3. I would suggest not have two deployment server. Again, it is a lot of work to maintain two deployment servers. Imagine, it is hard to keep 3 environments in-sync, you now going to have two deployments servers to maintain.

4. My suggestion is to do pre-update 5 ESU first, then installing update 5.

Cinmiller :

1. On some cases, it's mandatory to have Development separated from
Production (e.g. : Banking). If your budget can afford it, I recommend
to separate Production from Development, some UBEs launched by
careless developers may put your SQL Server down to its knees.
2. If wouldn't separate Production of Development as two separate
DB instances on the same box, I would rather buy a low-end server for
Development and a large box for Production.
3. It's not recommended to have two Deployments, it's gonna be a mess
with ESUs, Packages, Service Packs and licenses.
4. Never tried that.

Sebastian

1. We have two Enterprise servers, one with DV/PY and the other with PD. I would highly recommend running separate servers. We've had too many problems running UBEs that played havoc with the system. Also, we are able to truly test service packs without impacting production. However, it does add a whole new level of complexity to the configuration. You will have to figure out how to handle DD, Obj Lib, and your SYS tables. You can have them share them or setup replication.

3. I also have two (fully functional) deployment servers. However, I have a different reason for having two, my enterprise servers are in two different cities. They are connected via T1 line. I have a deployment server in each city. Without a second Deployment server, my builds would take days to finish.

Good Luck

Back