OLAP and ODA

maher_samet

Hi List,

Excel is a powerful tool that can use OLAP to retreive data for analysis, and we are using SQL7 for OWB7332. But OneWorld has 2 things that cannot give us the opportunity to extract the data correctly: Decimal shifting for currency,amounts,quantities...( see DD for numerics) and Dates (its own coding).

To define an OLAP cube, we need to get correct data from a database: We thought about exporting data from OneWorld ODA data source to an SQL database using the SQL7 tools (DTS). We want to define the cube using this new database which will have the correct quantities and amounts and real columns dates.
But when we use this tool (DTS-import and export of data delivered with SQL), and specify the ODA datasource (as the source), we have to enter user and password ! Which ones ? for any user/password combination, we have an error and we cannot continue ! (try yourself)

Has anyone got an idea how to do to make this data transformation ?
Is there any other solution to make a cube based on real dates ?

Maher SAMET

Config: NT4/SP6a, SQL7/SP2, OW-B733.2/SP17.1

Maher :

If you read OneWorld's data from ODA, you can set it to convert Currency and
Date formats to
normal standards (1560.40$ instead of 156040, 02-23-2004 instead of Julian
Date 104054).
If you discard ODA, then you can pump data via DTS but you'll have to
implement your own
routines to transform integer numeric to currency and Julian Date to your
calendar format.
Finally, the user-password combination of ODA is a JDEdwards user and its
password. You have
to define that user on GH9011 (User Profiles) plus P98OWSEC (User Security).

Sebastian

Re: RE: OLAP and ODA

Hi, I have been trying to use the ODA. By accessing it thru Excel.
Im able to login as JDE userlogin and password. But once I hit the finish button to transfer data to Excel.
I get a message stating "Unable to Establish Conection to Database"

Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem?

Thank you!

RE: RE: OLAP and ODA

Ccarrillo :

What's your database?

Sebastian

Re: RE: OLAP and ODA

Hi ccarillo, welcome to the forums.

The answer to your problem may be found by searching the forum for keywords ODA and ORACLE. The most likely solution to this has been discussed before.

Good hunting ;)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Scratch the above. Sorry carillo - I thought this stuff was in the forum archives but when I searched I didn't find it. Here's the scoop

" If using Oracle in addition to the ODA DSN, you must create a second DSN called "OneWorld ODA Ora" using the Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver. The DSN name must be exactly as I typed it, description can be anything you want. Other fields MUST be left blank. See the Knowledge Garden document ott-00-0043 for more details."

Back