Jde Files on Citrix Server!!!

nailesh

Dear All,

We are having a Windows 2000 Domain Setup since the past 2 years. In our AD Structure, we setup a Home Directory for all our Domain Users in their respective profiles – which points to a File & Print Server. Now that we have gone for J D Edwards, we have standardized our Enterprise, Deployment & Citrix servers on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

Just the other day, we noticed a peculiar problem in terms of our J D Edwards Application. We noticed that each individual’s End-users profile on the Citrix Server did not have a Windows {Systems Directory} under the folder – C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Windows - which is where - by default, J D Edwards saves the Jde.ini & Jde.log file for each User profile on Citrix Server.

We scanned the whole server for the Jde.log & Jde.ini files. We found out the only 3 files were available – 2 files belonging to 2 Users who did not have a Home Directory specified in the Active Directory Setup. 1 file was located in the C:\Winnt directory. We were worried about all other users’ Jde Files.

Accordingly, we scanned the whole network & managed to find out where the JDE files for all other users were being saved. Almost all Users were having their respective JDE files saved in their respective HOME directories (based on the File & Print Server).

Firstly, I would like to know the implications of this setup? Does it affect the Application speed on Citrix (because every Users jde.ini / jde.log etc. files are saved on a different server. Does this lead to an increase in unnecessary traffic on my Network?

Secondly, I would like to know if there is a way around this – i.e. – Save the Jde Files on the same Citrix Server (C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Windows\jde.*). I cannot get away with the Home directory setup as it would definitely affect too many things around my network.

Hoping to hear from someone soon!

Rgds
Nailesh Mascarenhas
OW Xe SP 17 Update 3
Windows 2000 Advanced Server / TS / Citrix MetaFrame XP
MS SQL 2000

Hi Nailesh,

Question 1: This is normal. If you setup an NT Home directory or a roaming profile for an NT User, Citrix will save your JDE setting there.

Advantage: If you have multiple citrix servers, users will have there OneWorld settings no matter which server they log into. another advantage is the you do not have to worry about your c:\ getting full on your Citrix server.

Disadvantage: During Upgrade. You need to keep deleting that JDE.INI or else, User will be getting weird error messages.

Question 2: I'm not sure if there is a way around it but you can write a batch file that deletes the jde.ini everytime the user logs on to OneWorld or to set the home directory temporary the C:\

Problem: when you look for jde.log or jdedebug.log on the Citrix Servers, the system displays the wrong files. You may exploring the wrong log files.
Action: correct two lines on jde.ini on Citrix Server.
File: x:\winnt\jde.ini
Change entries
DebugFile=x:\your profile path\WTSUser\windows\jdedebug.log
JobFile= x:\your profile path\WTSUser\ windows\jde.log
WTSLogs=TRUE

sv800 wrote:

Action: correct two lines on jde.ini on Citrix Server.
File: x:\winnt\jde.ini
Change entries
DebugFile=x:\your profile path\WTSUser\windows\jdedebug.log
JobFile= x:\your profile path\WTSUser\ windows\jde.log
WTSLogs=TRUE

----------
Yes, there are 2 entries that should be changed on the Citrix server's JDE.INI. However, the JobFile and DebugFile lines are not the ones. Your [DEBUG] section should look like:

[DEBUG]
TAMMultiUserOn=1 <----- This is one change.
Output=NONE
ServerLog=0
LEVEL=BSFN,EVENTS
;BSFN,EVENTS,SF_CONTROL,SF_GRID,SF_PARENT_CHILD,SF_GENERAL,SF_MESSAGING,SF_WORKFLOW,SF_WORKFLOW_ADMIN,SF_MEDIA_OBJ
DebugFile=C:\WINNT\jdedebug.log
JobFile=C:\WINNT\jde.log
Frequency=10000
RepTrace=0
WTSLogs=TRUE <----- This is the other change.

By having WTSLogs=TRUE at the bottom, OneWorld will automatically modify the JobFile and DebugFile lines to point to the user's home directory path. This avoids the problem of having everybody on the Citrix server trying to write to the same log files.

Way back when Citrix was first authorized as a viable solution, I was told by a JDE CNC person whom I trust (Brent Ofenstein), that those were the lines that had to be changed.

TAMMultiUser is a flag that is supposed to allow multiple users to use one set of spec files, as is the case on a Terminal Server.

WTSLogs is for the use as described previously.

And, of course, lately there are the new flags to allow development ...

Back