Disk Space Needs to convert B7332 to XE

kjjdelist

Well Known Member
Greetings all.

I'm currently on B7332 (NT4.0/SQL7.0) and have 50GB of space in my
Enterprise with 30 GB used (leaving 20GB free of course).

I will be upgrading to XE soon and know I need to upgrade my drive space,
but by how much? My current live environment (CRP2...don't ask why) is about
6.5GB on the SQL Business Data side and 2GB on the System Database.

Any advice? We're looking at taking the total drive size to 144 GB, but
could take it to 180GB if we have too, but would like to not spend the extra
$$$ if we don't need to.

What about a later conversion from NT4/SQL7 to Win2K/SQL2K ? Will those
require substantial amounts more than my current config?

I am also looking into the same upgrade and have the same environment as
yours. My information on the enterprise server is that you need double the
space for each package on the server, not the database. This is the same for
fat clients. My understanding is that database growth would be minimal.
Also, upgrading to 2K should also be minimal on disk space. My deployment
server however is a problem as I have only 8GB free and I need to go to an
external storage system that will require a rebuild of the box. I am also
looking at the need to go JAS or Citrix so any information on sizing these
boxes would be helpful.

Thanks,

Crawford Winter
Senior Technical Analyst
Transamerica Life Canada

Xe doesn't add that much more to your Business Data or System size. The biggest hit comes from the Central Objects database. Xe starts at a base of 2 GB for the Central Objects database in one path code, and you can just tack on more for Updates, ESUs, plus your own custom mods.

The footprint of Xe on the Deployment Server is a little less than 20 GB for 4 path codes (PD, PY, DV, JD or PROD, CRP, DEV, PRIST) plus the System and other installation directories. Each path code is worth about 3 GB of files.

The footprint of Xe on the Enterprise Server is a little over 12 GB for 4 path codes plus the System (not including databases). Each path code is worth about 1.5 GB of files.

So without installing more disk, you will butting up against space limitations on your Enterprise Server if you were to install all 4 path codes.

I'm not personally very fond of OS upgrades, but taking the disk space up will help, especially with the SQL upgrade. For conversion purposes, I like to leave room for double the amount of space my databases take up currently. This is less of an issue with the SQL 7 to SQL2K conversion as it was with the SQL 6.5 to SQL 7 conversion.

I would try to upgrade my database first if I could, then perform the Xe upgrade. If you have to leave the database upgrade for later, then 144 GB of space will leave you enough room to have both versions of OneWorld on the system when you do upgrade SQL.

Hi,

Disk space is very important on both the Deployment Server and the Enterprise server.

I usually recommend a minimum of 50-60 gigs free on both the deployment server and on the enterprise server. This will give you enough space to be able to build package without problems.

Yes should also consider upgrade to win2K/SQL2000. You will get better performance from your enterprise server.

Anyone agree or disagree with my 2 cents.

Back