Multiple Instances on an AS/400 w/o LPAR?

StewartSchatz

StewartSchatz

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed 2+ instances of OneWorld Xe on the same AS/400 without using LPAR? If so, I would really like to know how it is working out for you.

Stewart,

This is our configuration now. It is complex and has a high learning curve
(In my opinion, it could just be me). If you are going to FOCUS I'm giving
a talk on our install.

We currently run 2 instances, English/Western European and Japanese. We
share Security, DD, OL, Printer setup, and the deployment server.

Issues you will run into are include numbers, locks on shared objects (if
you plan on sharing anything), CCSID issues if different code pages are
required. Maintenance of the instances is also problematic as far as
service packs and ESU's go. If you want to share development, then you
will want to ensure that OMW is correctly configures to keep both code
bases in sync.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Xe Update 1 SP 17.1D; AS/400; CO on SQL 7.0; TSE Metaframe 1.8a; Two
instances E/WE (Code page 850) & Japanese (code page 932)

Has anyone installed 2+ instances of OneWorld Xe on the same AS/400 without
using LPAR? If so, I would really like to know how it is working out for
you.
--------------------------
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=33916
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list / forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

OW 7332 SP 11.3VER, NT 4.0 SP 5, TSE 4.0 SP 4, Metrframe 1.8, CO SQL 7.0

Thanks for the reply Tom. I am trying to get mgmt to send me to FOCUS. I've been working with JDE for a little over a year now and have only had a live system since 1-1-02. I can see where your configuration would have a high learning curve. I'm really curious how you can share the Deployment Server.

The main reason that I asked the question was to find out if it is fairly common to have multiple instances on a single AS/400. When we started this project we were told by both Andersen Consulting and our JDE Technical Rep that 2 instances were impossible.

Starting about 3 months ago our configuration includes 2 instances for 2 different companies that share nothing. OMW has been configured to include a status that sends objects back and forth from one to the other. In the future we plan on having 4 instances of OW on our AS/400.

I look forward to hearing you at FOCUS, if my request is approved anyway. Thanks again for your response.

The "not possible" response is bogus. Put them on different ports, using different IPC resources, and there you are. You do have the option of setting up multiple copies of tables under different owners and having OCM point at the different tables for each instance. This lets you share things like printers and nextnumbers, but be able to separate other things as desired.

You can setup Multiple instances on the AS/400. JDE have written a guide on how this can be done. Check the documents available on Knowledge Garden. If you can't find it, send me a mail and I will email it to you. We run multiple instances to test new SP's before moving them to our Prod env. There are a few things that you have to setup that are not documented, but your JDE CNC rep should be able to point all these out to you. Cheers Paul J

Back