global updates

Lori Gibbs

Was wondering if anyone has tried using the Global Update reports for the Item Master and Item Branch Plant records (Specifically R41803, R41804, R41805) I never have used these reports, and I do understand that with any kind of global update one must be extremely careful. I am mainly concerned with updating the CAT Codes in the F4101 and F4102 tables. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lori

I have never used any of these global update programs before and being the cynic I am, I don't really trust update programs as I have been burnt once too often.

I'd be more inclined to use SQL to do the updates in F4101 and F4102. However before doing so I'd review all other effects in other areas eg:
Does Base pricing rely on these cat codes?
Does Advanced pricing rely on these cat codes?
Do open orders need changing as well and/or do existing closed orders require an update and from which date?
What reports use these cat codes?
Is F4229 (sales summary by cat codes) affected?
Is summary forecasting used?
What affects are there in Manufacturing?
etc.

Good luck,

Thanks for the info. I too have been burned by this type of program. THe open orders (Both mfg and sales) in my case would not be affected as we are with in 30 days of go live and the order's have not been populated. SQL is usally the way I go - but was trying to give our data base administrator a break - even though they would be very simple statements. Appreciate the advise - which is what I thought - but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone "experienced".

Hello Lori,
I've used two of the reports before, R41804 and R41805, mainly to set MRP
related fields. These reports do have a "Proof" mode processing option.
You should be OK as long as you run these in proof mode first to check the
POs and data selection.

I haven't used R41803 yet. As best I can tell it copies IM settings to IB
and it doesn't have a proof mode. You may want to look for KG white papers
on this subject.

Walt Sellers
Heil Environmental Industries, Ltd.
OW B733.2 SP10, Citrix, Windows NT TS2000, Oracle 8.1.6

Hi Lori,

This reply might be a little late for you but...
I am using the R41804 & R41805 updates to assign planning family and a few other codes. There is a proof mode for both jobs (thank goodness!) that is useful for trial and error. We use it to update the planning family based on sales codes thus allowing us to "clean up" incorrect initial entries. I will say, however, that the selection criteria is extremely limited so it only works for the simplest jobs.

Hi Paul, and thanks

What you are describing is exactly what I am wanting to use it for - mainly updates to specfic groups, and specific fields - we are using SRP6, SRP7, AND SRP8 to be able to sort not only by the product families ,etc, but also for sizing (examples would be Kilowatts, or BTU,) and even energy source (electric, solar, etc) At the moment we are using SQL statements, but then I have to get someone from the IT department to have to break away from what they are doing to make the changes - and If I can get these done myself, so much the better. I will give this a try and let you know

thanks a bunch

I'm in the process of testing the global update program for item branch information. I'm specifically looking to update the buyer, planner and vendor numbers. The processing options are limited and do not include Vendor Number. Is anyone aware of another JDE program that could be run to update the Vendor Number for multiple items/branch plants?

You can set the processing option in PO receiving... that it will update the
vendor number at receipt time if it's blank.

Back