Licencing

starmedia

Hi:
We are in the process of selecting JD as our ERP system. One of the things that I don't undestrand is how the system is sold. They are telling me that I have to buy something called the foundation for 5000 USD each and then more money for every other module.
Does this sund right to you? What would be a good price to negotiate?
How many more modules there are?

Regards

Re: Licensing

Hi Mario,
BEFORE negotiating any price, I would suggest you ask your JDE Acc't Mgr. to provide:
1 the JDE OneWorld Xe Demo (Standalone Application) to be installed on your PC (or the person who is evaluating the product)
2 the Xe Documentation CD.
After the Demo Xe was taken for a ride (and it may require at least ONE week per module), the foundation of a fair negotiation is in place, and more than 51% of the basic questions got proper answers.
Regards,
Adrian Chimirel
PS It would be nice to share your experience with us, AFTER you made a decision.

I sent you an email 2 days ago. Could you confirm you have recieved my previous email.

Foundation module would consist of address book. The other modules are financial, distribution, manufacturing etc.

Every company uses a different combination of the modules.

Unfortunately, it is the way all ERP software companies are selling their software. You can buy application by application or a suite of applications but you won't make a better deal at end. The best deal you can make is to negociate with them at their year end. They have quotas to reach and they are more negotiable at this time of the year. It could be up to 50% discount. Also, I will suggest you to buy only the number of licenses needed to conduct your CRP (Conference Room Pilot). After the CRP phase, which is typically 6 to 9 months elapse, you will be again be in the right time frame to negociate the rest of your licenses. Licensing has a tendency to decrease over the year so don't believe the ERP salesman with is Super Initial Discount. The true reason why he wants you to buy more licenses is for his own commission.

I got use to this trick while I was on the other side of the fence. I formely worked for J.D.Edward Canada. My best suggestion to you would be to deal with JDE in October since they close their fiscal year at the end of this month.

An ERP implementation should cost you more or less 1.5 times the software i.e soft + all users. Considering you are an American company you can save a lot of money if you are dealing your implementation with Canadian Implementor.
I can offer full implementation services.

Back