Same Item numbers or not

hsiao_te_wang

Well Known Member
Hi Lists,
My client is in PC industry and before the implementation start, one of the big questions has to be clarified and deciced:
Should we apply the same item number or different item numbers to an "component" ? Which I mean "component" can be 40 GB hard disk or certain motherboard which can perform the functions the same, but need to be purchased in from different vendors.
Should we assign the different item number for different vendors ? The PC industry can need more than 30 components to assembly into one PC and most of them are multi-vendors.
We are thinking about any pros/cons about the decisions on MRP/purchasing/material issuing/INV management ...etc and any comments will be highly appreciated !
Regards,
John

Hi,

Try to use the item segmentation, I think that is too long to expain how it works in a few lines. But you can search for "Item Segmentation" in the knowledge garden and see if that fits with your scenario.

Good luck!

Francisco Cervantes.

Thanks Francisco,
To my knowledge item segment is to link the item to kind of category function, however, system still treat them as different items.
Based on the features (maybe functions) of some key components, my client face very different (can be thousands or more) combinations to configurate the PCs and they like to handle this by system as possible. Not only the availability checking, also the MRP running for purchasing purpose (the BOM right now is also varied), one generated PO sent to different vendors (certain % for each), how warehouse staff based on part lists to issue the components correctly...etc.
I know it may not have perfect solution, but like to have comments about the pros/cons to use the one item number or several item numbers for one "component", or there may have some traps if to set so.
Forget to mention the client is on A7.3 cum 7. They go live on World two years ago and have the business challenges on this right now !
Appreciated the information !
John Hsiao

John:

If the items are 100% interchangable, then use one part number, regardless of vendor. This simplifies item master/branch maintenance, BOM management, material issues, product costing and material planning tremendously. If multiple item numbers are used, you may find MRP telling you to buy/make hard drives when you have plenty from another vendor in inventory.

Unless there is some compelling business reason for keeping them in inventory under different part numbers, lot control (assuming you are using lot control) can be used to separate the inventory.

I agree with Jeff that you should use just one item number for simplicity.
You can setup all your vendor numbers for the part in the item cross
reference file. When entering POs you can enter the Vendor number if you
want, or your number, and the PO can print both your number and the vendor
number.

Andy Klee
www.JDETips.com

I would use the item cross reference. Otherwise - if you use different item numbers for different vendors, you will have to have different bills of material for different vendors, and different end items for different vendors. It would be a maint. nightmare if you chose to have an item number for each vendor.

Don't forget with the supplier analysis tools, you can get good trends in
how your purchases are doing. That way you have one item, several vendors,
and happy IT people ;)

JDE World A7.3 11ish

Back