Receiving & UofM Conversions

elocin

We have an item with a unit of measure conversion where 1 bag = 20 liters. We ordered and received 10 bags but 2 were short 1 liter. Our Purchasing department received the 8 bags with 20 liters, went in and changed the unit of measure conversion so 1 bag = 19 liters and received the 2 19-liter bags. This changed the 8 bags already received to 19 liters as well so I had the user reverse that and go back in and receive the 2 19-liter bags in liters instead of bags and adjust the unit price accordingly. Is this the best way to handle shortages like this or is there a better method?

Hi elocin,

The way you did it looks fine, but I just would like to know if the principal UOM is bag or liter, because you could have rounding isues in the availability file if the principal UOM is bag and the users enter a lot of transactions using liters as the transaction UOM.

Francisco Cervantes.

I think the corrective action taken by you is the best option. Changing the UOM will not only make the problems in receipt, it will affect the entire system wherever it is being used. One thing that should always be remembered is that the primary UOM should be the smallest UOM because the UOM conversion is unideirectional.

I think you have done the best possible thing.

I would recommed that your receiving UOM be liters rather than bags. Depending on how you processing options are set your receiving department should even be able to override the UOM when they receive an incomplete package.
This way you will not have to change UOMs or make corrections to other transactions.

Hi Nicole,
The solution you applied is the better one.
Is it an exceptional situation?
Just a suggestion, if you frequently meet this case, you can create your own UOM.
For example : unit name B1with conversion 1bag=20 liters and unit B2 with conversion 1 bag= 19 liters and use one or the other according to the need.

Back