R42800

jfwalke

We are having problems with the R42800 and time it is taking to run.
40,000 records ran for 4 hours before we killed the job. Last night there were 9000 records and it ran for 3 hours.

Does anyone know how to speed up this report? It is running at nite with no one logged on and the AS400 guy says it is not the 400.

Thanks

Hi 'jfwalke'

I don't have a straight answer on your speed issue of R42800, although if you are updating 40,000 records, I am not surprised it is taking 4 hours.

However I do have grave concerns as soon as anyone mentions the word "cancel" or "terminate" in relation to R42800.

If the UBE is cancelled before it is finished, the R42800 Workfile (F42UI800) will still have records. If you subsequently run R42800 again, you are very likely (depending on when exactly the UBE was cancelled) to get duplicates in A/R and G/L. These duplicates are very messy to clean!

The other day I made a similar reference to R42800, so please allow me to copy this section here again:

There is a Knowledge Garden Document (ODS-00-0140) that gives a reasonable explanation of what exactly happens during sales update. The key to it all is F42UI800. You should try and determine if the batch failed during:
a) writing of the F42UI800 records
b) reading of the F42UI800 records
c) Reading and deleting of the F42UI800 records

Case a) You are in luck and just need to delete the F42UI800 records
Case b) Only financial records are written, which you can remove by SQL from F0911 and F03B11. Also delete F42UI800 and re-run R42800.
Case c) Ouch; All financial records were written and some Inventory and sales records were created/updated. In this case I would only delete those records from F0911 and F03B11 that still exist in F42UI800, than delete the remaining records from F42UI800 and re-run R42800.

The most important thing is to ensure F42UI800 is always empty before the next R42800 is submitted, or else you risk having duplicates in A/R and G/L

This is just a rough guideline to fixing your integrity issues, but hopefully if will give you a bit of a hint on how to proceed.

Hope this helps in your quest,

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

* Coming to a European City near you soon *

Hi Sef

We are running the R42800 in the test environment which is why we could stop the job.
I got your post the day before and it was very helpful in letting us know what the work file was to clear before we reran the R42800.

4 hours tho is a long time when we have to run this at night and also
do other jobs. we are trying to figure out if this is the normal JDE or do we have a performance problem with our system.

thanks

Hi,

I have seen this before, it was 3 years ago and the IT people finally decided to buy a new server. But if your company do not want to spend the money that way you can try to split the jobs.
We did this and discovered that it was faster to run 3 or 4 times the sales update instead of running one huge job, maybe you will save the time you need for other jobs.
Anyway, there are lots of facts that have influence... but hope this helps.

Regards.

Paco.

PS: To split the customers, we used a category code of the customer master.

Back